1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Yello1, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Hey all.
    Ive been thinking about how some teachers really have pupils behaving well all year round. I would really like to know how you guys set the ground rules and the consequences for breaking these rules. For someone who is not great in this department, please could you guys provide me with tips and strategies to ensuring that my i can achieve a good level of behaviour all year round.
    Thanks

2. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

don't give an inch - anytime

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Start off really strict and keep it up. Easier said that done but it really is the only way. Well, you can always let things slip and rein them in, but that's never easy.

4. Thanks for everyones replies. What sort of rules would you have in the classroom to start with and what would be the consequences for breaking the rules?
    Also whats your warning procedure?
    Thanks

5. cupcake1788

cupcake1788 New commenter

I try to keep to three simple rules, any more and the pupils lose interest. As I am an NQT, I wanted to start the year off by establishing myself in my classroom and make my expectations clear. My rules are: Nobody is to speak whilst the teacher is speaking or another pupils is answering a question; pupils show me and each other respect and pupils put 100% effort in to their work. I counteract this with what they can expect from me. I tell pupils that I will work hard for them and that if they produce the work then I will mark it and give them feedback. I stick to my rules so I expect them to stick to mine. This works well even with the more difficult classes.
    I also feel that sometimes teachers expect to automatically have the respect of their pupils. I think we have to earn their respect by remaining consistent and fair and by creating clear boundaries. If you do this then classes respond well and give you respect because you have shown that you respect them. I also try to find out things about my classes. Find out what football teams are supported or what pets pupils own and if pupils see that you take a genuine interest then you can engage them and usually use these facts to negotiate a potential fall out and turn it in to something positive.
    Hope that helps!

6. Thanks for all the replies.
    I seriously have an issue with non compliance, so many students dont listen and think they can do what they want. I am probably to blame for being 'soft' and 'inconsistent' on occasions, but what the cure to non compliance of students to basic staff instruction.
    To be honest i really need an arsenal of sanctions so that i can use them.
    Looking foward to the feedback,
    Thanks

7. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

If there's complete non-compliance, you need to escalate things quickly. Even the simplest thing - if they're refusing to do as you have asked then the problem is not that they aren't going to do the work (for example), but that they are refusing a direct instruction from a member of staff. I usually give them "the choice" in this case, with a deadline of a minute to have made it. I then walk away to de-escalate the situation (allows them to "save face"), and return a minute later. If they haven't followed my instruction by then, then I go and call for support from a member of SLT. I have only had to do this once (although that may vary in schools depending on how good the SLT are!).