1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour tips for supply teaching?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by spl5fm, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I've been on the supply books since September but have only just started getting work.

My question is this, what are the best ways to manage classroom behaviour / gain children's attention whilst on supply?

Also, what rewards work best regardless of school reward policy? (I have been using smiley and sad faces on the board & children's name under the faces, but was told by one school not to, though they didn't inform me of their reward policy...)

2. I've been on the supply books since September but have only just started getting work.

My question is this, what are the best ways to manage classroom behaviour / gain children's attention whilst on supply?

Also, what rewards work best regardless of school reward policy? (I have been using smiley and sad faces on the board & children's name under the faces, but was told by one school not to, though they didn't inform me of their reward policy...)

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I ignore the school's reward system and carry a self-inking stamp that says "You've worked well in my lesson, well done".

As for getting attention, I find after a brief minimal intro it's best to patrol around, stand next to them and speak with them individually rather than trying to issue shouted instructions from the front. By personalising your dialogue with them you can overcome some of the behaviour issues, as they can no longer hide behind the group dynamic.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My own (cheap and easy) solution to this is quite simply raffle tickets. (I generally collect unused strips from local raffles and build up my collection without it costing me anything) I award children a ticket to be exchanged for 'whatever reward system is used in this school'. Means child writes their name of back, so I get to know their name and have some evidence of their reward. First child 'sitting up straight obviously waiting to be taught' gets the first ticket, which tends to settle the rest well.
    I do buy stickers to give to children too, to stick on to their work to show them I value their work, and I also have some of those self-inking stamps.
    Try to praise more than notice 'poor behaviour'- selective blindness/deafness useful here if possible, which is probably why one school said'not to use your sad/smiley faces. Some schools have a <u>positive only</u> policy, so use smiley faces and just a list on your desk for the others for the sad ones in that case.

5. Thanks for the excellent advice. I used to have a set of self-inking stamps but gave them to my son as a toy during my hiatus from teaching. I am now newly on supply (still waiting for that first call) and gathering resources, so I have ordered a new set from Amazon. I'll definitely be following your advice about selective blindness/deafness Lara - it makes sense not to be confrontational with a class you may only ever teach for one day.

6. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated :)

I tend to keep my intro very minimal and don't shout, simply because my voice isn't that loud!

I use stamps and stickers and also positive slips, but I think I'm looking for universal, no-fuss system which is why I really like the raffle ticket approach.

I was annoyed with the school that told me not to use the smiley faces because I didn't even have a sad face, just lots of names under the smiley face...!