1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour strategies for Yr 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jellybaby30, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi, I was wondering if someone could offer some advice please. I have just taken over a year 2 class and there are certain parts of the day where I find behaviour difficult to manage and I was hoping that someone could offer some strategies I could use:
    - when children come in from the playground at the beginning of the day they take forever to put their coats on their pegs and sit down on the carpet and then when they do, they start conversations. This results in everything taking twice as long as I have been late into assembly as a result.
    - when children come in from the playground after playtime and sit down on the carpet for their lesson. They just take ages to organise themselves. I have given them carpet seats but they still take ages to settle down.
    - when children finish their work at their tables and I ask them to tidy up and come and sit on the carpet - again they take ages to tidy up and sit down.
    Also, does anyone have any advice as to what I can do when children finish their work as I usually end up with children following me around to show me their work and whilst I am trying to look at their work other children in the class go off task.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I have just returned to work after maternity leave and although I have been teaching for 7 years, I feel like I have completely forgotten all of the behaviour strategies I used to use plus this is the most challenging class I have taught.
    Thank you.

2. Hi, I was wondering if someone could offer some advice please. I have just taken over a year 2 class and there are certain parts of the day where I find behaviour difficult to manage and I was hoping that someone could offer some strategies I could use:
    - when children come in from the playground at the beginning of the day they take forever to put their coats on their pegs and sit down on the carpet and then when they do, they start conversations. This results in everything taking twice as long as I have been late into assembly as a result.
    - when children come in from the playground after playtime and sit down on the carpet for their lesson. They just take ages to organise themselves. I have given them carpet seats but they still take ages to settle down.
    - when children finish their work at their tables and I ask them to tidy up and come and sit on the carpet - again they take ages to tidy up and sit down.
    Also, does anyone have any advice as to what I can do when children finish their work as I usually end up with children following me around to show me their work and whilst I am trying to look at their work other children in the class go off task.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I have just returned to work after maternity leave and although I have been teaching for 7 years, I feel like I have completely forgotten all of the behaviour strategies I used to use plus this is the most challenging class I have taught.
    Thank you.

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

First 5 people on the carpet ready to go will get house points / stickers. Tidiest, quietest table will get house points / stickers... sanction children who take an unnecessarily long time to get there. I allow my class to have a chat while we wait for everyone to settle, but they know when to stop as I give them a count down.When they finish their work say "thank you, I haven't got time to look now, put it away and i will look later." Be firm, year 2 can behave themselves!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Praise those ready, as lillipad wrote.

Have something to do the moment they arrive on that carpet, so they don't have to wait. And those last miss out.

Definitely don't look at the work of those following you around. Have a 'special drawer' or some such where they can put the work they want you to look at.

5. Could be worth playing a 2 minute piece of music at tidy up time - not a manic one as it could make them silly, but a jolly tune will jolly them along - and a merit mark or whatever you use for everyone who does it. (eg/ theme from 'top cat')

6. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

MAgical items - if, when the children tidy up, they find and put away a magical item it's worth a sticker, house point etc... Keep them guessing until the room is spotless, the kids love the game and it gets the room tidy quickly!!!!

7. I count down ALL the time, and am quite strict - if they are not on the carpet quiet when I get to 0 their names go on the sad side. I tend to count pretty slowly though if I can see children are just putting pencils away etc!
    I have cloakroom issues as it is outside of my classroom and they do hover and chat, but again if they waste time they go straight on the sad side - or I appear mysteriously and raise my voice a little which makes them jump and get a move on!
    To stop them when working, I use a shaker. Simply using my voice does not work but the shaker seems to have a magical effect! If they dont all stop, we practice the shaker again and again until they do. They eventually get bored!
    I think I am quite strict BUT I have built good relationships with my children, have a joke with them and make time to listen to them and talk to them like little adults. I have some very boisterous boys but make sure I recognise their achievements and have a bit of a giggle with them. It really does help with behaviour when you have those relationships because then they dont like to disappoint you. I love Year 2 for this reason - they can behave but still want to learn and want you to engage with them.

8. I've seen a rainstick used to get children on the carpet/generally hurry up and finish whatever it is they are doing. 3 turns and if all children haven't completed whatever it is or aren't where they should be the teacher gets a point. If they are ready in time then they get the point. A tally is kept on the whiteboard and ends up almost like a little competition between who can 'win' between the teacher and children - seemed to work very well.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd also say give them time to finish off, tidy up and get back to the carpet. I have a colleague who suddenly says 'I want you all on the carpet by the time I count down from 10' and counts down. The children either have no time to tidy away properly (leading to a class wide lecture on leaving the room in a mess), or no time to finish their sentence/word (not a good habit to teach children and they hate leaving their work in that way) or they get told off for being late back to the carpet. They aren't actually being naughty, just can't win.

10. Very true minniminx.
    I tend to do the whole "Time to start finishing your sentence, books on this pile then start tidying up" then a couple of minutes later I nag and start to count down once they are beginning to finish tidying and are just faffing!

11. I give mine a little time to do whatever, then start counting down very slowly from ten to zero. If they are all the carpet sitting by the time I get to 0 they get beads in the jar. It's amazing how they speed up. In the morning they always have busy work that they get on with as soon as they arrive. They get straight on with this at their tables (I have a bee on my board for busy work, so they check what they need to do). Before they do this they put all the chairs round the tables quickly. They are very keen so whoever is in first gets straight on with it. Busy work can be filing (they are very keen to be the ones to give the work and files out so get straight on with it) or a no obvious answer odd one out problem, Art of the Week, or an open ended maths problem.
    To get them in a circle quickly I do things like cover my eyes and say 'when I count to five and open my eyes can you magically be sitting in a circle'. They always manage it as they like a bit of a game.
    I also tell them if we are quick we will have time for a song, or extra story, or quick game on wink murder etc. They'll do anything for a bit of wink murder!

12. Great - thanks for all of your ideas.