1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BEHAVIOUR STRATEGIES 101

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Crazy Frog, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Hi there,
    I know your secoundary, but how would you deal with a six year pupil who is non-statemented, very immature, signs of aspergus and refuses to sit down or look at me. She is very disruptive. Any ideas?
    With thanks

2. Great ideas in this thread.
    I survived my NQT year last year by recognising which advice from my student year works best for me in my school, with my classes and spineless, useless SLT!
    I don't bother with detentions as I've had a few cancelled after SLT caved in to parents' demands! Pathetic! I find that sorting problems myself is more empowering, and better than relying on others and the unworking 'discipline system' at my school.

3. Good for you.
    Pray tell us more about what advice worked and how you are sorting behaviour problems yourself.

4. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Tophotchef... I know this sounds nuts but I promise this does work. Next time the girl gobs off at you keep her behind at the end of the lesson. You then have two choices, depending on what you know about the kid and which you think will work best:
    The first would be to ask how she would feel is someone said what she had said to her mother/father? On the whole you will hear a string of violent responses. Remembering that teenagers have no concept of how old you are or that you might have a real life outside school, ask her how she thinks your daughter might feel if she heard her talking to you that way, if you went and got her and stood her in your classroom and let her hear the way the girl spoke to you!. (it doesn't matter if you haven't got kids... she doesn't know that!). You might not get the response you want but I've tried this several times... and believe it or not it has pretty much repaired the damage and given us the chance to actually build a relationship...
    This idea can easily be the next step after the above, but can work effectively on its own. When you have her on her own, no audience and all that, sit down across the desk from her and ask her what she wants to do when she leaves school, keep it calm and chatty. If she tells you she wants to sit on the dole talk to her about what a shame that would be etc because you can see potential in her, ask what subjects she's good at and suggest jobs she might like to do. Whatever she tells you take an interest in it and talk about how she could go about getting there. Your closing part of the conversation, after being really positive and interested, is to point out that if she messes about in your lessons you have to write it down and that gets recorded in her education file... and that when she leaves school the next place she goes will ask for a reference, remind her that by law the school are not allowed to lie, even if they really like her. But that if the school saw a marked change in her behaviour now they would be able to talk about that in a reference and that would make a huge difference, especially if it wasn't because she got into serious trouble but of her own accord. The whole conversation will take the wind out of her sails because you're helping her not telling her off.
    Depending on how she responds It can also make for a good opportunity to ask her why she's so rude to you, do you do something that annoys her? If she, as I suspect she would, tells you that your lessons are boring or that she doesn't like school, point out that your lessons are only boring because you have to spend so much time trying to get her and others to stop messing about and that if she was being reasonable you could do all sorts of other things that would make it more fun.
    The point is that most kids who are really rude are doing it for attention, most of them have parents who really don't care how their kids behave at school... so if you give them a little attention in the right way, show you are not a monster but are actually interested in them as a person... and remind them that you are actually a person with a family and friends too who's feelings can be hurt... you might just be astounded by the response you get the next time they walk in your classroom.

5. Completely the opposite to my experience where children are rude because you are giving them unwanted attention i.e. trying to teach them.

6. Mr Leonard:
    "Good for you.
    Pray tell us more about what advice worked and how you are sorting behaviour problems yourself."
    (Sorry, don't know how to do snazzy white box thing).
    The advice that I use is, "get to know your students well." So I do - I work out what students don't want me to do and exploit it. Humiliation/ making them look and feel small and stupid in front of the class is a great disincentive to misbehave, or be rude about me!
    A good specific example is a year 9 lad in my class who is so obnoxious and rude and so dismissive of teachers that a lot of teachers dread him in their lessons. When I phoned his mum who's a bit wet and 'can't do anything with him either' she mentioned that the only person who can deal with him effectively is his nan! Apparently in their family she's the boss, they're all scared of her. I got nan's number and called her - she said she'd sort him out when I explained what he'd said and done.
    I only had to call her once during my lesson and he got the message. Plus his sudden positive change in attitude and behaviour had a great impact on the rest of the tricky class.
    Most kids have an achilles heel - a weakness. Its just a case of finding it and ruthlessly use it.
    That sort of thing.

7. subowie

subowie New commenter

one of my favourites is timing the noise. when i first take the class if they are not quiet within a few seconds i take out my mobile phone and start timing how long it tsakes them to be quiet - in minutes and seconds. they usually go quiet because they dont know what i'm doing, i do not say a word whilst doing this. when they have gone quiet i write the time on the board - to the second.
    at the end of the lesson - it works better before lunch, break or home. they remain sitting in complete silence for all the time they owe me. sitting in silence for two minutes can seem like eternity
    next lesson,if they dont go quiet when ive asked them, i normally only have pick to up my phone for the room to go quiet .........

8. there are some excellent hints and tips on this thread! It's making me feel more positive about the start of the new year tomorrow.

9. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

10. I teach A-Level Psychology and now that it's exam season, trying to keep students focused is a nightmare at times (esp as my current post is a supply one), so what I did with my A2 class last week was to tell them that as we've finished the course now and they are mature enough to take responsibility for their own learning, they now had a choice over what to do (I should add that the class is mixed ability and as I said therefore lacks focus either because they take ages to do the work-the lower grade students-or because they would rather chat than do the work-the higher grade students).

The choice was that if they wanted to go over a particular topic with me, they were to sit at the front. If they wanted to do their own revision, they could sit at the back, but I expected to see written work from them (preferably an essay). The first time I did this, 3 students duly sat at the front and we followed my planned lesson while the others sat at the back and I didn't hear a peep out of them. Ok, they talked but it was neither loud nor disruptive to their work (I regularly checked what everyone was doing) and in my last lesson with them, many of those present duly handed in an essay. Some people handed in 2. RESULT! I was happy, they were happy and SLT was happy as I was able to report the improved focus of the class and amount of written work submitted!

Why did this method work? As I've been more flexible in my approach to the lessons, the students were 'policing themselves', as one of the students put it.

Moreover, less planning is required, as lessons are based on exam questions and discussion of answers, so I'm also less stressed!

11. What a thread...really good to see it being kept at the top of the list. Anyone know what became of the splendid Crazy Frog?

12. In the country I grew up, from primary until end of secondary years there was a mark every semester for Behavior. That mark had the same weight in calculating the average mark for the semester/year as ALL the other subjects. By default almost everyone got the 10out of 10 (or the equivalent A), but here and then much lower marks were given so pupils who really really pushed the boundaries. From pupils' perspective, we were relieved we had the extra possible maximum mark from Behavior to 'pump up' our average scores. This acted as motivation for many, who cared even a little about their academic futures to not play up.

13. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter