1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BEHAVIOUR STRATEGIES 101

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Crazy Frog, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Loved your strategies Crazy Frog. My favourite for toilet requests (which incidentally are not allowed at our school and we get into trouble if we indulge them) medical card kids excepted of course, is when they threaten that they are going to wet themselves (yr 9's do this a lot) I simply ask, 'How will that affect me? You will be wet, smelly and very embarrassed, I on the other hand will be comfortable and in control. This usually silences them.

2. If a student is singing ask if a cat is being strangled in the room. If they continue ask if they do requests, then ask if they can sing "Far away"

Copying from the board. If a class is talking too much or getting rowdy ask them to copy from the board. Write fast and keep threatening to rub off the top line. They will settle down, and at the end of the lesson think they have done lots of work (n.b. this is obviously of no educational value).

Find out about students families. Ask them about parents, siblings, etc and remember a few details. Be sociable but private. Do not reveal details about your family - discussion of TV, football, music is ok.

Phone home when students do something good. I've had parents break down in tears when I have done this. "In 11 years of school this is the first time anyone has phoned with good news... he's not a bad kid you know... he's had a difficult time with his dad leaving..." It's amazing the info you can get, and from that point on the parent and student will love you (although they will probably continue to act like a dork).

If you are in a **** school realise anything you do not deal with will not be dealt with. Never underestimate the incompetence of SMT.

Be suspicious of the disciplinarian teacher who "helps you out" by coming into your classroom and shouting at your class. It will quiet the class for three minutes, but all it achieves is making the class teacher look ineffective, and the disciplinarian look good.

"He's no problem with me" any teacher who says this to a colleague is a **** and should be ignored.

If they need the toilet tell them to try and hold on and visualise running water, a waterfall, a river, a running tap... then look confused and apologise and explain actually it's meant to be that they should not think of those things.

Merits, credits, reward slips e.t.c. are gimmicks. No one cares about them. They are counter productive. Students should have higher motivations than this, so ignore them. If however they ask for them, give them.

Never loose your temper. If you do, keep the student behind at the end of the lesson and explain why it happened...

3. Great Strategies Crazy Frog.

Keep them coming.

4. stresser

stresser New commenter

Excellent strategies CF! Spot on comments about senior management and lack of support. What seems common sense to most classroom teachers is way out of SLT comprehension! I wonder why SLT think students have the necessary knowledge and skills to make theirs the voices to be listened to instead of teachers with many years of successful experience in schools - results are students running schools and behaviour standards dropping at an alarming rate! Our school's "uniform infringement policy" has 14 steps in it, most of which involve students being in detention with teachers. The actual policy takes THREE MONTHS to get from start to finish! Someone is being paid a lot of money to come up with these ideas! I get paid a lot less, yet can instantly see potential problems (as can most classroom teachers!)

5. Your strategies of ignoring children who call out the answer will not help those children whose learning style requires them to talk in order to learn. Are you aware of the 32 different learning styles which technically means you could have a diferent learning style for every pupil in your classroom and which means you needs at least 32 different teaching styles unless, at the beginning of each academic year, you motivate the pupils to work out their specific learning styles and organise the classroom to accomodate these learning needs. For example, kinesthetic children at the back so they can move and not disturb others or auditory learners nearer the front favouring their dominant ear? Children need to be given more buy-in into the way they are taught and some learning styles such as those children who need to talk and move in order to learn AND who do not need to look at the teacher to take in what is said need especially careful and considerate management. How often do you vary your teaching style and how much effort do you make to teach outside of your preferred teaching style?

6. Some great ideas CF. Genius.
    Just to reply to lynneshrubb, I'm not sure how to go about responding to this, physically, in the classroom. If you planned for that many learning styles for each lesson, when would you ever sit down? I just don't see how it can be done. Not trying to start an argument, just making a point. As much as i love it, it is, after all, a job. Start as you mean to go on.... burn out is not a good idea!

7. Dont start talking until they are completely quiet. Make eye contact with those that are still talking. Make them put everything out of their hands and wait. Stand quiet, if they are taking too long, sigh and look at the ceiling. Then just say "its your lunch/break time you are wasting." May sound silly but it works, even in my (quite tough) school. Just remain calm and point out that those still talking are being rude to those who are quiet and waiting.

Also telling a class at the start of the lesson that you will be making some phonecalls home that night, positive and negative. The fist kid that does something good, tell him/her loudly that you will be ringing home to say how well they are doing if they keep it up.

ALWAYS ring home with problems AS WELL AS giving the kids detentions. Start the conversation with "I usually get on well with Chelsea" or "Kyle is a bright lad but..."

Good teaching is about relationships, not consequences. Smile alot, dont hammer them too much with detentions.

Have your rules and stick to them. Dont raise your voice if you can help it, then when a kid shouts just say "Im not shouting at you, why are you getting stressed"

Always try to make a few "praise" phonecalls home every week. Get their form tutor/HOY to say nice things about what they have done in your lesson too.

8. Some excellent ideas. I agree with CF PGCE courses need more behaviour management.I have just completed my first HT and I am frustrated because I can't actually teach yet. I can't develop any kind of teaching style and lose my flow because of constant interruptions. I don't know how much time I have spent standing or sitting, staring, looking at watch/clock, timing etc. while I am waiting for quiet and I WILL NOT talk until they are quiet! Some of the other kids complain because they don't understand because I have to keep stopping and ask me just to carry on. As everyone has said it is only a handful in each class but they are preventing me getting to know the ones I know I will enjoy working with. Thanks everyone its made me feel like its not just me!

9. Frog Man, you're a genius: you should publish this stuff! People seem to expect that discipline will just "come" if you follow a few simple rules, and shout a lot, but it's not so easy! Your tips are very practical and useful.

I've experienced the horror of another teacher coming in and shouting at my class, then going away, leaving me feeling like a right ineffectual ****. Also, I have a HT who likes to walk into the room JUST as someone is arsing about or the class is too noisy, and he makes a comment about it. He NEVER catches them being good, and frankly I'm bored with his technique! It's demotivating to me and makes me feel about a cm high: he has plenty opportunities to catch the class being good, and I'm quite convinced he never takes them ON PURPOSE. Bah!

10. I'm sorry Lynnshrub but what a load of nonsense! I'm all for learning styles etc but to suggest that a child be allowed to shout out 'because it suits their learnng style' is utter rubbish. Does that mean they have the right not to be polite? I will be yelled at by thirty kids simultaneously (sp?!) just because it 'suits their learning style'. They can still put their hand up like everyone else!

By the way I teach music to 6 classes of each year group in KS3 and to two KS4 classes so you can see how impractical it would be for me to get to know all my students (400 odd)

11. Thanks Crazy Frog! These strategies are great!!

One of the most effective strategies I've seen employed by the teachers at the school I'm on placement at is:

Get the children to line up outside the room before they enter, so that the chances of a maelstrom of kids pouring throught the door is eliminated. Let them know that they will only be allowed in the classroom when they are all silent. You'll get some gobby kids who'll like the sound of being kept OUT of a lesson and keep talking, but if you remind them that it will be marked down as truancy, most of them come around!

12. Re: post 72

Unfortunately, my school does nothing about truancy. It causes a big headache when trying to get students to cover missed work.

13. Fantastic top tips. Many thanks. I'll be using lots of them. Not much you can do about bad senior management but I once managed to get an awful pupil removed from my classes (finally after a huge list of offensive behaviour, language etc) by approaching a deputy head in the dining room. I told him in a loud voice of the latest behaviour of the pupil (told a teaching assistant that he would punch her f***ing face in...) within hearing range of many other dining members of staff (and pupils) and funnily enough that seemed to do the trick. Not very professional but sometimes deperate measures are necessary.

As for classroom management I'm certainly no expert but some things that have worked for me:

Humour is often my saving grace along with huge helpings of sarcasm. Use the class to laugh along with you if poss but always laugh at your own jokes and ignore any serious/strange looks.

Doing something unexpected or bizarre works for some, eg dance around the room, copy them, throw stuff at the door etc.

Sometimes I teach like I'm 'on speed' if you know what I mean - better for more able classes. Pace around a lot, set lots of time targets, look slightly on edge, mad look in your eye etc.

Add time to talk about rubbish in lesson plans eg Eastenders etc. I often make up or exaggerate something that happened to me that morning/night before to talk about to get their attention. The weirder the better.

Try talking to these kids outside the classroom as often as you can stand and try to find something else to talk about - their favourite colour, shoe size, even just make sure you say hi, -anything then this starts a 'relationship' that can get some on your side in the classroom. Some will never come round though.
    In my opinion you've got to put your own sanity first!

14. good boy

good boy New commenter

call parents

tell student to move seats

send out the class

call in seniour management

15. Thanks for these! I'm an NQT and am finding behaviour management an absolute nightmare at the moment - Y5/6 in a fairly rough area. I seem to end up shouting all the time! However, I've got a few new ideas from here - we also have a new head who is hopefully going to wave a magic wand and somehow improve things (fingers crossed!). Any ideas to deal with LOTS of low level but noisy disruption would be appreciated! As well as the kids who completely kick off!

16. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

And it's a warm welcome back to this thread...

17. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

Agreed. As a non-teacher it is inappropriate for me to offer advice on behaviour management strategies, but its good to see useful tips on this forum for teachers (new and experienced) that somehow aren't given in ITT.
    Although I still think the person who gives the most useful, realistic advice on 'Behaviour' is Tom Bennett, its great to see a thread of genuinely useful strategies that could work.
    Keep it up guys, well done YMB for raising this.

18. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

19. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

This thread has made it into the TES mailing list this week.
    Hooray. [​IMG]