1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BEHAVIOUR STRATEGIES 101

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Crazy Frog, Mar 1, 2007.

1. TO "Fireman Sam"

Thanks. I have only been teaching for just over 6 months. Everything I have learned I can assure you has not come from this school. Some from PGCE but most I have made up as I have gone along - "trial and error" - and seen what works and what doesn't.

PGCE/NQT year should be full of this stuff. I certainly would help PGCE/NQTs out with it in the future if I stick to teaching in the long term. But yes - even I am worried about how long I will continue. I think at the moment it is just this school which is putting me off. My PGCE schools were fantastic and I didn't doubt the future. In six months hopefully I will be back with that as a long term perspective again.

2. Pupils who won't work in class but whom have supportive parents - I've found sending the work home with a list of what should have been done in class (eg. "Exercise 5B on solving equations - minimum was questions 1-15 but some students completed up to qu 24") works quite well.

The parents will ensure that the student completes all of the work you have sent home (and to the level of the best students rather than the minimum) and, once this has happened to a couple in the class, the message gets across that the work will be done (in class or at home) and it makes sense for it to happen in class as then they still get their social time at home.

A side benefit is that the parents are really appreciative on the whole.

Clearly a different tactic is required for those students who have less supportive parents.

3. 16. Behaviour Records

I have a behaviour log to note down dates of behaviour problems and what occurred. The pupils are aware of this. But maybe I should have a comment book so they know good stuff will go in too for parents evening rather than just bad stuff. A fair point.

So credit goes to "casper" for this one as he/she describes below........

I have a blacck important looking bnote book, if kids are playing up I find this to be quite effective. Look at them look and hard and then write something down in your book. It could be rubbish, but they will think you have looged their names. This works well with low level disruption. Nips it in the bud.

4. To MathsHOD

Good one - if you are in a school that allows them to take books are. Certainly one to consider in the future when I get into a normal school.

No books allwed home - shows how much the school trust the children - or how much they want to save money and affect their bottom line.

They run it like a business. Idiots! Go work for a company if you want to walk around with that corporate attitude.

5. Well - I'm off out now. Been nice reading all your comments and your ideas on behaviour. I have replied to many of you.

Later.

To be continued......

6. We actually don't have many textbooks in our dept. - most of the consolidation work is from worksheets (either developed in-house or comerically available).

Popping a weeks worth of worksheets into an A4 envelope and sending home can work wonders.

7. Some excellent ideas here, crazyfrog. If you've only been teaching 6 months then you're doing really well to come up with these ideas.

However, I'm afraid I don't agree with post 36

"My tip is to think of the kids in the classes you like and motivate yourself that way. Plan their lessons first when starting your planning and do the other classes last. Even if planning properly for all classes - the plans done last are never as good as the ones done first when you are fresh - so why not make the horrible classes last and it is their just reward."

I do agree that when starting to plan, it is a good motivator to think of your nice classes, but for my horrible classes, I find I actually need to plan MORE rather than less, including an element of planing for behaviour (e.g. which rooms to send misbehaivers to, and to have work ready for them to take) Therefore I do those classes first, whilst my brain is working.

perhaps I'm in a minority, but it works for me

Keep up the good work!

8. Always worth remembering that there are very very few truely horrible classes. What there are are classes that feel truely horrible as a direct result of the actions of a small number of students.

Most of the kids in the class are great - it's just that you don't have the chance to see this due to the actions of this few.

9. To MathsHOD:

Couldn't agree more. I had about 6 pupils who ruined that class. But as the school didn't support me there was not much I could do. They were a "class" I didn't like rather than an odd few I didn't like.

Pity the others didn't go home and get their parents to complain about the few. On parents evening some parents suggested it. They clearly had been told by pupils that I tackle behaviour and could see that SLT were not supporting me.

10. I'll add some more strategies when I come up with them.

It is still all new to me but a very STEEP learning curve.

It is that way when you can't rely on SLT.

11. Remember - Feel free to add your own of course

I could do with help too......

12. shadocg

shadocg New commenter

One of the first things I do at the start of each year or when taking a new class is to have the students tell me their name and a little bit about themselves or an interesting fact about them. I repeat their names as I go through the students, often in different order than I learned them.

I find it so important, as it allows me to learn all their names within two or three classes max. Not only that, but at one school where I had 8 classes 3 times a week and 2 classes once a week, I had to learn about 330 names. I did it. Kids were amazed and impressed. It also meant I knew 330/1650 names, or about 1/5 of the school!

I also did the same thing when I was set cover with the students I didn't know. I expect out of all the new teachers that year I knew more of the kids than anybody else and it made my job sooooo much easier.

13. shadocg

shadocg New commenter

Speaking of that school, it had gone through over 110 teachers in the past two years and was in serious weaknesses. I was hired over the internet based on my CV and experience.

The policy was to send notice home with the student if a detention was being set. I took it one logical step further and told my students that if I had to set them a detention I would phone home too. Once I actually started doing this, I found that I did not talk to one single parent who had a problem with me seting a detention for their son when the situation was presented to them. I never made it personal, just explained the situation, explained that there were warnings, and that I had to set the detention.

Once word got around, my detentions fell off dramatically. I did have one Y9 IT class that was very very hard to crack. What finally did it was when two Y11 boys kept throwing open my door (it was a push door with no handle) and yelling in my class. Finally I chased them, picked one, and ran him down the stairs and chased him across the quadrangle and off the school grounds. On the way back in the school windows on that side were lined with students, many who knew me, who told me where my pens, pencils, etc had fallen and cheered me on.

I walked back into class, didn't bat an eye, and started right back in where I left off. They seemed to have a new attitude after that! LOL

BTW CF - great strategies. You clearly have things under control in your classroom. Not like some new teachers I know who throw their kids out into the hall and leave them for me to deal with. grrrrr....

14. Thanks "shadocg". I try my best. But could certainly do with more support from above in the most difficult of cases.

My final strategy - comes next!!!

15. 17. ....and Finally!

If all else fails - and you get no support from a crappy SLT - LEAVE!

After all - you know that you are a better teacher than all of the SLT in that school combined. You can't expect everyone to be as good as you are. They don't desrve having you in truth. So find a school that does. Leave them to rot in a school that will go worse with each passing year.

The main thing is - work for people who inspire you. You feel so good and come home feeling satisfied.

It is truly wonderful!

16. Crazy Frog - you have it so right. I will especially keep in mind the SLT advice.
    Thanks

17. Stumbled across a good one last week by accident.

Have had a couple of girls (one from my class and one from another over the corridor) who have got into the habit of standing outside my room having a chat before the lesson begins.

I'd tried everything - gentle persuasion; instruction; doubling the time they miss etc. all to no avail and often with associated lowering of the relationship between myself and the students.

Last week I just went and stood next to them while they talked - they quickly spotted me and said they were "just talking and would go into their rooms in a minute." I just said "OK" and stood next to them whilst they looked awkwardly at eachother - obviously the gossip was not for teacher's ears.

After a few light hearted "Oh sir! Do you have to listen in?" type questions they said they'd chat later and enter the rooms.

A couple of lessons in a row I did this and they entered the rooms without any fuss and much quicker than any other strategy I had tried. Also the pupil/teacher relationship wasn't compromised - they found it mildly funny.

Today they just enetered the room without even going through the process!

Short or long term success I don't know but it certainly made other staff smile at work when I passed the story on!

18. I am loving the "detention" but actually catching up on work lost trick for constant toileteers. Great stuff will start using it tomorrow.
    With regard to disrupters, I just inform the classes of MY class rules and the consequences. 1. One Voice = any one person talking at a time. If anyone interrupts then I just note their name on the board and they know that means I will see them at the end of the lesson. I say nothing to the pest until then, just gnore them and soon the class join in the ignoring. They know that I won't waste their learning time on time wasters, but I will spend time on the pests in breaks..............I love eating my lunc while pests are writing lines or tidying up the classroom. As I am a DT teacher it can get pretty messy....TEE HEE

19. "PGCE/NQT year should be full of this stuff. I certainly would help PGCE/NQTs out with it in the future if I stick to teaching in the long term."

The Teacher trainers are basically in hock to OFSTED/DfES mentality. Therefore there are no behaviour problems that are not related to poor planning and teaching, therefore there is no requirement to provide the sort of behaviour management skills that twenty years ago would have been EBD only.

Maxing up BM skills would be an open admission that things are failing, OFSTEDfES will never do that, even if five teachers are murdered in the classroom a week.

20. I loved reading all these - good strategies, well done. One that has worked for me in the past is document everything, be it ever so small. Then when SMT get on your back for bad results, you can show them exactly what you did, when you reported it and what steps (or not) that they took. This does work and does show them that you do document things. I did this my first year at the school I am in now and for every time I reported any thing I wrote it down (even absenses) so that when I was hauled on to the mat for questionning, I passed it right back to them - all neatly documented and nothing done, except the steps I had taken myself. They make sure you are taken seriously the next year.