1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour routines

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Greyfalcon1, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Greyfalcon1

Greyfalcon1 New commenter

Hey all,

I have had an issue with behaviour this year in a challenging school, it just seems like sanctions and routines don't seem to work and the pupils still continue to challenge me and my expectations. Its even worse when I seem to be having behaviour issues when the rest of the department seem to be doing great.

I do sometimes think its a matter of perceptions but I can't seem to get the classroom culture where it should be. I want to apply for a new job but feel behaviour may continue to be an issue.

Any thoughts/ help would be great.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Greyfalcon1

I don't know how long you have been teaching, but sometimes it can take some years to get to a place where you feel you can manage classrooms and create the classroom culture where you want it to be and even more so in a challenging school. There are many, many people who feel the same way as you do and many people leave the state sector and work abroad because of it, so there are no easy answers. Don't compare yourself to your colleagues as they may have been teaching there longer, been teaching longer generally, or hide the worst of what goes on in their classrooms. You have to start where you are at and work from there.

However, we can't lose if we keep learning, so if you haven't done so already, I would highly recommend you study some behaviour management books/courses. I can recommend the Pivotal Education web site for free tips, books, and course some of which you can take online. All affordable and very sound.

When you go for a new job, don't rush into it, but take your time to research the school. The best places to work will have good behaviour management systems in place with clear behaviour policies. Schools which have on call systems where behaviour support assistants will arrive and help are the places to work. I have worked on supply in schools where I have called on call and no one came. Those are the places where you want to avoid. Also, avoid schools where the behaviour system with conduct cards, etc are used and the system is too complicated. The behaviour system has to be easy to use and all understand. For example, clear rules, clear warnings, clear consequences. Everyone knows where they stand and treating others kindly is the rule rather than the exception.

If you see any supply teachers at your school, ask them which schools have the best behaviour support systems in place and where the behaviour is generally good.

Good behaviour in schools start with the SLT as they should lead from the front. Classroom teachers can't do it alone.