1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour...Rewards and Sanctions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eggles, Aug 25, 2011.

1. I've been lucky with the classes I've had in terms of behaviour management up until now. This year, I have a particularly hard group of year 6 children. As a school, we use the 'good to be green' behaviour scheme. If the children get a warning their green cards turns to amber, they can earn their green card back however if their behaviour persists the amber card gets replaced with a red card and parents are informed. This has worked with other children but it hasn't worked with these children.
    One carrot I have got at the moment is the Christmas production and Leaver's production but they're a long way off and need something else in the mean time.
    I am going to make this a class rewards and sanctions so the children feel they are owners of the rewards and sanctions in the classroom therefore more likely to stick with them.
    Has anyone done anything that has worked with difficult children in the past?

2. I've been lucky with the classes I've had in terms of behaviour management up until now. This year, I have a particularly hard group of year 6 children. As a school, we use the 'good to be green' behaviour scheme. If the children get a warning their green cards turns to amber, they can earn their green card back however if their behaviour persists the amber card gets replaced with a red card and parents are informed. This has worked with other children but it hasn't worked with these children.
    One carrot I have got at the moment is the Christmas production and Leaver's production but they're a long way off and need something else in the mean time.
    I am going to make this a class rewards and sanctions so the children feel they are owners of the rewards and sanctions in the classroom therefore more likely to stick with them.
    Has anyone done anything that has worked with difficult children in the past?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

One plus is that you are a new teacher to them and they will be slightly more mature- one hopes!
    So it's time to give this class a totally new start. Start positive; in our class we will have the following rewards. Then move on to the 'What happens if we find it difficult to concentrate/what do I do if I don't know what to do? activities. help the children feel grown up and able to contribute to solving their own problems.
    Lots of PSHE activities to bond etc.
    Individual behaviour charts can be useful for children who find it particularly challenging to behave.
    No doubt others will add some other helpful suggestions.

4. the problem I see with making those things your rewards could you really carry through if the children don't behave?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They are such a long way off they will of no use to you at all in terms of carrot or stick.

Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean you want a whole class reward or a whole class sanction? Neither would be what I'd advise.

For your tricky children, find what they like and use extra time on that as a reward and less as a sanction. Playtime generally works for this. If you are on amber then you miss 5 mins play. If on red you miss all of play and I ring home. If you are on green for all sessions this week then you get extra play on Friday.

6. I give my all my children 30 minutes golden time. I extend this to whatever works for the class. Bringing in toys, watching films, extra play etc
    If they have a yellow card in the week, i record it. The same with a red. They miss 2 minutes for every yellow card and 4 minutes for every red. They then miss those amount of minutes off golden time. They sit on the carpet and watch all the rest of the children having a nice time. as long as Golden time is a real treat they hate to miss it.

7. We have time in the week for golden time. It think this year what I will do is ask the children what type of activities they would like to do during this time. Last year, in my class, we didn't have/need golden time. I like the idea linked to playtime as an extra incentive. [​IMG]