1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour/reward ideas for Y2 - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vanadesse, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'mt rying to decide the best way to 'do' behaviour in my new Year 2 class come September but to be honest, I'm struggling as I have a fair few ideas and can't really decide what to go with. Thought I'd get advice from people here to try and help me decide. I may end up doing one the first half term and another the second half term, I found on placement the children needed change not to become complacent with it.

I'm not sure whether to go for an individual reward system where all children get rewarded for every X amount they get (sticker/star chart) or the top two for that week get a reward (class dojo weekly points system), a table points based system (marbles in group jars or a paint by numbers picture) or a whole class based system (marble jars or a big chart type thing). I'm leaning slightly more towards the individual I think because in a way, I feel like it's possibly more fair - those that deserve a reward get it and those that don't do the behaviour that they should to earn points/marbles/whatever themselves, don't get to ride along on the good behaviour of others. I'm considering have a behaviour chart/zone board as well, you know where everyone starts in green and can move up to gold or down to red, or on a cloud - up to sun, down to thunder etc, and that anyone who finishes their day at the top of the chart gets to have a sticker on their chart as well as any time they do something fantastic, then say every 10 stickers, they get a small reward.

Got a fair few ideas but can't decide.

2. My Y2s last year loved Class Dojo and enjoyed the reward of just getting a point and seeing their name flash up on the board! I used to do raffle tickets, and started giving them one per dojo point to tie in with the old system, but they preferred points to prizes!

3. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

The only thing I have with class dojo is that I can't just say go move up/down the... go put a sticker on the... and it's not always visible if I need something else displayed on the board. I used it before where the top two people got a little goodie from my box and everyone who got over a certain number of points for the week got to go on the tyre park for 10 minutes. The school I'm at now doesn't have that so I'd have to come up with a new system for it because I found that it was generally always the same few who would finish at the top so feel like everyone else needs a bit of an incentive too. I could maybe come up with some kind of redeem your points system where they can spend X number of points on things. Like 10 points and they can choose who they sit with for on lesson, 20 points and they can go to lunch first, 25 points and they can choose their own avatar, 30 points something from my treasure chest, 40 points 10-15 minutes of 'golden time' or time on the computer or something like that, we could maybe even come up with that list of rewards together. Hmm something to think about anyway.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They don't need tangible rewards half as much as you might think. Just knowing you are really pleased with them and they can move their name up is enough. They race out and tell their parent they 'got on the gold' today and that's all they care about.

We have a whole school colour thing to move up and down. Mine is in a large triangle shape with the point at the bottom. They all have their names in the middle and move up (two places possible) for good things and down (two places possible) for bad. If they get to the bottom they have to go to another class for time out. They go back to the middle at lunchtime or each morning, depending if anyone remembers to move the names back to the middle.

Because they always get back to the start each day, even the trickiest child can get to gold easily enough if they are having a good day. And I generally make sure they do!

If you have your points system that builds up as a more private thing. So each child has a page in a book or folder or something then it doesn't matter if some have more than others. And in life if you work harder and achieve more then you get greater rewards. You could send home a certificate or postcard each time they get 10 points or something.

Not at all sure about missing lessons for a reward...15 mins on the computer has to come from somewhere.

5. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Check your school doesn't have a policy. We all follow the same scheme. You could be organising your own ideas for no reason

6. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

That's the kind of thing I meant about that chart minnieminx, I didn't really find that it was that effective with my last Year 2 class though. There were a few that it was but it didn't work until I put some kind of actual reward into the mix. Maybe it was just that the teacher had it but didn't use it much until I got there, I don't know.

The computer time was just a general suggestion of the kinds of things that I could do rather than a set out plan of what I would do. There are times that the children would be able to do that without it coming out of a lesson though otherwise I wouldn't even think about doing it.

Thanks rainbowdrop86 but I checked that policy already, it was one of the first one's that I looked at. It sets out a whole school system but leaves the individual class system (that should be focused on positive praise and reward) up to the individual teacher.

7. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm starting to think that maybe I should scrap the idea of my treasure chest (even though I've already stocked it up!) because I feel like I'm trying to find a system to fit that rather than a system to fit me. Class Dojo worked in my last class but I don't think I really want to do that. I'm going to use the chart/zone board because I feel like that does work quite well. I've got business cards from Vista Print that say I finished the day in gold today for them to take home if they do, maybe that's enough. The chest could come out on birthday's maybe, they can choose something from it then. Or possibly once they've had x number of days finishing in gold maybe but don't think it's going to be my focus.