1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour on school trips

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by miss_pgcepe, Jun 12, 2019.

1. miss_pgcepe

miss_pgcepe New commenter

So last week we went on a school trip (LKS2 class). It was to a public place, moderately busy.
    At the end of the day some of my boys had gone into the toilets and came out running and screaming. I had a firm word with them, did not raise my voice at them, gave them my disappointed look etc that works just fine with them.

The next day the headteacher finds me at lunchtime and asks to have a word. A member of public has rung in to the school to complain that I shouted at the children. I am horrified and embarrassed. My headteacher is taking no further action but even so I am still upset by the situation.

She has before told me I am too firm on my class and I even used this as an example of feedback in a recent interview where I discussed how I had reflected on it the first time she told me this and I decided that I'm not too firm, I know their boundaries and we have a laugh but they know there is a limit. When I draw the line they know enough is enough. Thankfully the headteacher of that school valued that all my observations and feedback have shown behaviour management as my strength and has employed me for next year and I am leaving this current headteacher.

I guess I needed to blow a bit of steam and share.
    And also wanted to know - when you are in public with your class, do you expect them to behave sensibly and show the school in a good light by walking in public places, not running around screaming?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Congratulations on your new job!

Absolutely I would expect children to behave sensibly - even more so when out in public and the staff are dealing with the additional responsibility.

This is an upsetting personal situation and I understanding the feelings you describe. However, you know how you responded and feel you did the right thing so I would try to just let it go. You're moving on so it isn't going to have any further impact for you. Unfortunately, everyone has an opinion on schools and teachers and this time a member of the public directed that at you. It's unpleasant but won't have any impact.

It's great that you have been able to be so reflective on your own practice and can use this going forward to your new role. You do need to be able to draw a line and communicate that effectively so it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong!

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If you had not done anything to discipline the children, a member of the public could have phoned the school to complain about that. You can't win!

bonxie likes this.
  4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Goodness, I thought the complaint was going to have been about the pupils' bad behaviour, not the fact that you dealt with it appropriately! How times change, and not for the better.

bonxie likes this.