1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour of class when teacher is not present

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by rstrang89, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I am a TA in a generally well behave year 5 class. However, the class teacher is out 1/2/3 days a week depending on what's going on (she's a senco) and their behaviour dips dramtialcally when she is not present. I understand that this is common place but it's making me feel powerless and that I don't really have any control over them unless the teacher is present. I'm happy helping with the behaviour management side of things, actually quite enjoy it, but I feel it's getting to a point where it's starting to really frustrate/annoy me.

Tips please!

2. Hi all,

I am a TA in a generally well behave year 5 class. However, the class teacher is out 1/2/3 days a week depending on what's going on (she's a senco) and their behaviour dips dramtialcally when she is not present. I understand that this is common place but it's making me feel powerless and that I don't really have any control over them unless the teacher is present. I'm happy helping with the behaviour management side of things, actually quite enjoy it, but I feel it's getting to a point where it's starting to really frustrate/annoy me.

Tips please!

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Can you just clear up what you mean here? Are you left in sole charge of a class for up to 3 whole days a week?

(Or do you mean 10 minutes at a time, up to 3 times a week?)

4. I'm not in sole control, the supply teacher is. It's 2-3 full days at a time.

Hope thy clears it up :)

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I can only suggest you discuss it with the supply teacher and make sure the supply teacher is aware of the behaviour policy of the school. Also discuss it with the regular teacher - if you were to give her a list of names of kids who "act up" when she's not there, would she get involved with conversations, sanctions, etc.

If the supply is not provided with class photos, names and a seating plan, you could get one from the regular teacher, get it laminated and lend it to the supply.

I can feel for you in your position; you're not in charge, the teacher is so their standards apply, not yours. On the other hand, you're an adult in the room and if your standards aren't being met then that undermines you with the kids. But you may find if you discuss it with the supply teacher, she/he will be glad of any support you can give - kids don't think they need to behave for any teacher who doesn't know their name and who won't be around to administer a sanction, and that leaves supply teachers very vulnerable.