1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

behaviour nightmares!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by hiddendavid, Apr 18, 2012.

1. hiddendavid

hiddendavid New commenter

changed my name to keep privacy!

ok, sorry if this is a bit of a rant but i really feel like i could have cried today with 2 year 9 groups

1 is a true bottom set and as such there are only 11. most are ok but dim, 1 girl is a nightmare, an absolute loony who acts like a 3 year old, 2 lads are just silly and refuse to do anything

today was as simple as tracing a map of germany to talk about tourist destinations - the 3 were removed to other rooms within the first 20 mins

other group is a 'top' set, again, nightmare, most of time telling to be quiet etc

i stick to the school behaviour policy rigorously and the kids knoiw the sanctions but honestly, year 9 act like such babies

anyone experienced similar recently?

2. hiddendavid

hiddendavid New commenter

changed my name to keep privacy!

ok, sorry if this is a bit of a rant but i really feel like i could have cried today with 2 year 9 groups

1 is a true bottom set and as such there are only 11. most are ok but dim, 1 girl is a nightmare, an absolute loony who acts like a 3 year old, 2 lads are just silly and refuse to do anything

today was as simple as tracing a map of germany to talk about tourist destinations - the 3 were removed to other rooms within the first 20 mins

other group is a 'top' set, again, nightmare, most of time telling to be quiet etc

i stick to the school behaviour policy rigorously and the kids knoiw the sanctions but honestly, year 9 act like such babies

anyone experienced similar recently?

3. This sounds horrible - you have obviously tried all avenues - perhaps your colleagues can continue to support you while you get the main pupils engaged so continue to remove the worst offenders. You should not have to endure this - what is the policy in your team - have you tried incentives ? In my experience attention span in groups like this is short but they respond well to games and deliver the lesson in chunks with lots of variety and short activities- once they respond - you can reintegrate others one by one - but make sure you have a back up for immediate removal if disruption starts - good luck!

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Have you just taken them over? If so, then no worries- this is perfectly normal. They need to see that you will be firm and consistent, and they're testing your boundaries. Focus on the worst kids right now and the class will thank you silently. But if you let them dominate, the class will see you as weak, and behaviour will degrade further. Just stand firm, don't give up!

Best

Tom