1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

behaviour managment in the early years

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by thumbshrew, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I think the answer is to respond to the behaviour the child is presenting by modifying your approach accordingly. The child is behaving like this for a reason. It could be because of speech and language issues, as you suggest - they don't understand what they are being asked to do, or they don't understand the language used in the carpet activity - so they respond accordingly. To me - this means you have to try something else until you find the right level of activity.
    You might need to modify the group - some children may need to work in a different group, or engage in supported play elsewhere - using your TA.
    You may need to modify the activity - make it more action-based so that the child can be involved despite poor language skills. For instance, I have found some children are not ready for stories in term one nursery - they need smaller 'bites' - action songs and rhymes work better.
    You might need to modify the timetable - smaller, shorter group sessions, with focused support of children during child-initiated activities rather than whole class teaching during carpet sessions.
    Remember that your aim is progress for each child from the point they are at. If they haven't reached a point at which they can sit and concentrate in a group you need to consider what stage they are at, and how you can move them on to be ready for sitting and concentrating.
    If you want to persevere with your agenda of getting children to sit still and listen in a group on the carpet (I can see that you might want to do this if you conclude that they are ready, just not willing!) then you will need to introduce some sanctions for children who refuse. Make up your mind what the sanction is - perhaps sitting away from friends with a sand timer - and explain it to the children. Stick to it consistently, and have another step you can use if the child will not sit where you specify etc. I think your instinct will tell you whether this will work with the children you are concerned about. If you can't see it working, that is a sure sign that the child is too immature to understand about sanctions - and too immature to be able to sit on the carpet quietly.
    I don't know about books on the subject. The best thing you can do, I think, is read up about child development and different approaches such as regio emilia, montessori etc. If possible, visit other settings.

2. As an NQT there should be support available from your mentor. Have you tried talking it over with him/her?

3. You could always try bribery...er sorry encouragement! Something amazing you can show people sitting on the carpet, or a toy for people to try when they are sitting. Agree with above poster that it may well be that the child involved cannot access what you are doing so you need to change 'something' to help. Basically think laterally and softly softly catchee monkey!

4. Thank you for your advice! I feel that it is that a couple of children in my group are not willing to sit on the carpet rather than not able to. I realise that sometimes this happens because they are not engaged - (at times they can be very engaged and behave very well) - so will look at my own planning to deal with this. I also think that action type activities work very well with my group.
    I am having a new mentor who works in a nursery so I am sure I will be able to ask this person!