1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour Management

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smiley786, May 15, 2011.

1. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Hi,
    We are currently trialling a new behaviour system. All children are say on the sun. When a child misbehaves, we discreetly remove name and write child's name in book and explain to child on their own the reason. if removed 3 times in a week, miss golden time.
    I am finding that this isn't working for me. We had a behaviour management INSET whereby traffic light system was criticised but I dont think that means that we need to remove names discreetly.
    How does your behaviour management work?

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I give them a good bol*ocking in front of the class so that none of the others will think of misbehaving. Can't do with all this secret telling off/reasoning etc.

3. If the bad behaviour is in front of the whole class then surely the reprimand should be also - unless it will play into their hands. I sometimes take a child into the corridor to tell them off so that they don't have an audience - but that's for my own benefit.
    Couldn't the name be removed to a little blcak cloud or something?

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

I'm not surprised the OP's system doesn't work, it sounds rubbish.

5. I'm a firm believer in positive reinforcement.
    Children don't 'lose' their golden time, they earn it if they're well behaved. I hate all this techniques which focus on the negative :(

6. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Thank you all for your replies. You have assured me that I am not wrong in my thinking that this discrete thing is not working.
    When the behaviour is in front of the class, i feel reluctant to say anything as I am trying to follow school's system. It just doesnt seem to be working for me. I did have a good system in place but can't use it as we are trialling this discrete system.

7. We use the tried and tested smiley and sad face!! This is a whole school approach from Rec to Year 6 and I've never seen something so effective. If my class (Yr 6) are being noisy, I just pick the pen up to write someone's name, and there's silence!
    Above each happy/sad face is a hierachy of rewards and sanctions e.g. one tally next to their name is a sticker, 2 tallies a raffle ticket, 3 is a praise note home, 4 is a pupil award and 5 is a special visit to SLT.
    It really does work, as long as it's consistently used and not used ***** nilly (I've only had one child with 5 tallies since September!)