1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour Management Training

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by gemxgcw, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm the SENCo and the head has asked me if I'll help her with some behaviour managment training for our TAs. Does anyone have any materials that I could use?
    I was thinking about doing a little activity where they have to think of a time when they handled behaviour well, then think about why it went well and what they did etc. Then think of a time where a situation wasn't handled well, then think about why and what they could've done or talk about it as a group to think of ways it could've been done better.
    Then finish off with a few top tips for behaviour management;
    Be calm
    Be firm
    Be consistent
    Be concise
    etc
    Any other ideas or materials gratefully received!
    gemxgcw@decoy.devon.sch.uk

2. Hi,
    I'm the SENCo and the head has asked me if I'll help her with some behaviour managment training for our TAs. Does anyone have any materials that I could use?
    I was thinking about doing a little activity where they have to think of a time when they handled behaviour well, then think about why it went well and what they did etc. Then think of a time where a situation wasn't handled well, then think about why and what they could've done or talk about it as a group to think of ways it could've been done better.
    Then finish off with a few top tips for behaviour management;
    Be calm
    Be firm
    Be consistent
    Be concise
    etc
    Any other ideas or materials gratefully received!
    gemxgcw@decoy.devon.sch.uk

3. wellingtonboot

wellingtonboot New commenter

A useful activity is to list the types of behaviour TAs see in the classroom/ around school and then in groups categorise it into low/ medium/ high-level and look at strategies to deal with it - linked to your Behaviour Policy? It may be worth looking at non-verbal responses and the use of proximity/ personal space - some of our TAs had not picked up on strategies to use other than a verbal reprimand.
    Also worth including school/ LA policies on restraint/ touching pupils and how to deal with a racist incident, and reminding that certain behaviours or significant changes in behaviour would need passing on to your child protection designated teacher.
    HTH

4. Thank you Wellington, good idea to list the behaviours - will defo be doing that.