1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management tips!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bumble-bee89, May 5, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm about to be a primary NQT and today I had my first job interview. It was for a Yr1 job, and the interview involved teaching a yr1/2 class. Some of the boys in the class were fairly disrupted and I found it difficult to manage their behaviour.
    Usually my behaviour management skills are fine, however, I have usually been able to develop a good relationship with the pupils and have knowledge of the school's behaviour policy. I ensured that I used positive reinforcement and clapped to get the children's attention, I also ensured that children were not shouting out/talking over me.
    What other tips can you give to ensure of good behaviour in interview lessons when you barely know the children?

Thanks

2. Hi, I'm about to be a primary NQT and today I had my first job interview. It was for a Yr1 job, and the interview involved teaching a yr1/2 class. Some of the boys in the class were fairly disrupted and I found it difficult to manage their behaviour.
    Usually my behaviour management skills are fine, however, I have usually been able to develop a good relationship with the pupils and have knowledge of the school's behaviour policy. I ensured that I used positive reinforcement and clapped to get the children's attention, I also ensured that children were not shouting out/talking over me.
    What other tips can you give to ensure of good behaviour in interview lessons when you barely know the children?

Thanks

3. Just going to bump this thread so hopefully someone will answer.

4. lauren155

lauren155 New commenter

I always found setting expectations at the start works for me! Take your stickers and go nuts with them. Try a musical instrument as opposed to claps as they are risky if the chdren are holding pencils. Remember a couple of the names and use them so children feel like you know them. Praise the behaviour you want instead of identifying the poorer behaviour you don't want... Just a few strategies that work for me! Hope you find them useful and best of luck with the job hunt!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Always difficult with a group of children who you don't know, as those of us who do supply know only too well.
    Advice about praising the positive & ignoring the negative can be good. Trying to use a few names is also good advice.
    But the main criteria is to do with the lesson being relevant & interesting so the children want to engage
    Today I only had 2 lesson - on supply in a school where the children are quite familiar with me. Lesson 4 was awful! Because it was a particularly difficult class with a number of 'characters'& the first 20 mins was library/silent reading & then playing word games. So everything stacked against me.
    Lesson 5 was completely different- despite being a longer afternoon lesson (1 hour 5 mins rather than 55 mins); class were engaged, on task & really pleasant to be with. But was a much more tightly structured lesson, on n engaging topic over which the children 'had ownership'