1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management tips for NQT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by celago22, Aug 5, 2018.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Talk to your school.
    Don't do physical prizes, you'll end up spending a small fortune after a while as well as end up with a box of cr ap.

And try not to worry too much.
    I'm fussing about BM with 3 year olds...years 3-7 no trouble at all. But nursery? Not sure about being strict, but don't want to end up with nightmare toddlers!

2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I have and they recommended prizes (I've already bought some... Oops!)

I have spoken to various teachers around the school and each has a different approach to behaviour. Some teachers have loads of strategies such as top table, table points, whole class rewards, raffle ticket system, use of special pens as a reward. I just want a simple set of strategies to use.

Nursey sounds difficult but I guess the key is for the children to understand the consequences of their actions?

3. markhorsey

markhorsey New commenter

As previous post said do stick to school behaviour policy. Don’t try and introduce too much. Try one thing at a time and see how children behave... like raffle ticket idea though

4. celago22

Thanks. I will do but the policy is very vague, teachers are free to do whatever they like for rewards etc. I just worry that the raffle ticket system, house points and certificates are all rewards for the same thing essentially. How do I work out what warrants what? Should more value be placed on house points?

5. Mr363

Mr363 New commenter

Not sure what others think but I think house points should be used for good answers or effort in work. Anything beyond that should be really exceptional. Basic things like sitting down sensibly, listening etc should be verbally praised, and any use of the school policy regards sanctioning should be used after warning the child and spending some time building the relationship with them - or that should be done after the sanction to prevent further ones being necessary. Interesting topic though. I wonder if you can use whole class reward with a system where if children end up on the red light a certain number of times in the week they are excluded from the reward time?

6. celago22

Thank you Mr363! So I'm guessing good answers, perseverance, anything that stands out earns house points.
    This could lead to a certificate if I see people consistently earning house points? Then exceptional work, effort, behaviour could feed into the raffle ticket system.
    We don't have reward time, the only thing we can do is allow children to earn an extra five minutes of playtime one day. I also note your point about verbally praising the correct behaviour, I guess that's the key thing to remember to do.
    Also I like your point about giving warnings before implementing sanctions-I've been advised to do that by other teachers so that children get used to the behaviour systems and have a chance to change their behaviour. I guess I don't want to have to send too many coloured cards home as they will lose their meaning if I do.
    You're correct about relationship building, 100% the most important thing to focus on next week.