1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

behaviour management strategies for upper KS2...?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by LucyD84, Mar 13, 2008.

1. I'm FS/KS1 trained and have been doing supply since September both through an agency and through the LEA. Until yesterday i had only done supply work up to year 3..but then my agency called me yesterday morning completely desperate and needing me to do a morning in year 5. So i (reluctantly) agreed..and then was called again this morning to go back to the same class.

They were a very loud, noisy class (staff assured me they are always loud but even more so at the moment as they havent had a regular teacher for a few weeks.)..anyway i just felt compeltely out of my depth and really struggled to get them quiet/get them to listen/concentrate etc. I just felt like i had absolutely no idea what strategies to use! The school had no House point/team point/golden time chart etc. I was told that for poor behaviour to write their names on the board. If they get 2 warnings they lose their "merit" for the week (none of them seemed that bothered by the threat of this!)

so i would like to know..what behaviour management strategies are used/work well in upper KS2 incase i get asked to do it again! I feel i have lots of ideas for young children and i know how to get their attention and get them to listen..but upper KS2 seemed so different!

Every time i raised my voice or gave them my "stern" look...i could get them quiet...give them a "talking to" and then the second i stopped talking they just started again! (very loud!)

Other than threatening loss of breaktime/lunch time/visit to the headteacher/name on the board..what else can i do to get their attention/realise that i mean business!? Maybe this was just a generally difficult class but i would like to feel a bit more prepared in the future!

2. Go back tomorrow and clarify your expectations to the children. Explain the consequences of breaking classroom/school rules. And apply these.

I usually introduce a raffle- children get a ticket for good behaviour, listening, tidying and good work, etc. Make sure to be over the top about the first few you hand out and say loudly (so all can hear) why ch in question receives them. Then hand them out as you go along- try to catch the 'bad ones' doing something positive. Then at end of day you do a draw and they get to chose a little gift- pencil/note book etc (but keep it secret till you have the draw to make it mysterious and exciting).

I have also heard about writing numbers 1-10 on the board and if the kids get too loud en masse wipe off the top number, then next... if there are none left kids miss break time- but make sure to explain that they can earn the minutes back (just put number back on board). Once they get the hang of it (next lesson)you may say that if all the numbers are there at end of lesson you will give them 5 mins for games.

Key is to be consistent and stamp out unacceptable behaviour straight away. Also when they get into classroom in am, greet them confidently in the door and have a activity prepared for them on board, for example: How many words can you write using these letters (random letters on board).

Good luck!