1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

behaviour management (reception class)- what to do when a whole group will not listen.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Paris04, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Paris04

Paris04 New commenter

I'm a TA in a reception class of around 30 children. Has anyone got any strategies that I can use when teaching in small groups (around 15 children is classed as small group work in my setting) when the children simply will not listen?

My class this year had very poor listening and attention skills and would often just chat amongst themselves despite me employing all my strategies in my arsenal. I know they were an exceptional cohort (their previous nursery teacher and TA said they were the worst cohort they have ever had in their decades of teaching eek!) Never the less I'd like to be better prepared for my new children in September and add some things to my repertoire!

The problem I have is mainly during input time when I am introducing activities. Thank you :)

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I always went for positive reinforcement when teaching younger children (but have no experience of reception at all!) - 'well done Bertie, aren't you sitting nicely' I wonder who else can...

It always reminded my of Joyce Grenfell

But I'm sure you've tried this.

galerider123 likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yes, I was thinking rewards - stickers for good listeners, getting to sit in a special seat for whoever is listening the best, with the focus on listening rather than not talking. You could put their names on Miss's Big Ear Chart.

Wow, that's really big![​IMG]

pepper5 and freckle06 like this.
  4. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

What happened to TAs getting groups of no more than 6 at a time???

Teachallover likes this.
  5. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

So what does the teacher do whilst you're taking half the class???? Is this for something like phonic work?

6. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Lindenlea that is really cute. A good idea could you Velcro some names. Perhaps a few places say five next to the ears so each time they try to be one of the five.

I often have "Do this." Actions and end up with a finger on lips for little ones. If you do it quite quickly they stop talking and concentrate to keep up. It has worked when I have had to go and teach Reception and I don't know them at all. I change strategy a lot and sometimes just stop and wait. I have a little owl too who likes good listening. Also watch the teacher and see what strategy she/ he uses that is successful and use that sometimes.
    Good luck it isn't easy.

7. rolls

rolls New commenter

Do you have puppets in the classroom? Talking through a puppet can be a good tool for you and them. Helps focus attention and sets down rules about who talks and when if you have to have a puppet on your hand to speak.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Good idea rolls.