1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management policy - what makes the difference?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by rbsrm100, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Having worked in a number of schools as a TA and unqualified teacher, I've seen pretty big differences in terms of pupil behaviour in schools. I just wanted to ask people viewing SLT threads what makes the difference? I know that as an individual I can manage challenging classes (taught challenging classes as unqualified using strategies observed as TA). But why does a school culture vary, even between schools with similar intakes?

2. Having worked in a number of schools as a TA and unqualified teacher, I've seen pretty big differences in terms of pupil behaviour in schools. I just wanted to ask people viewing SLT threads what makes the difference? I know that as an individual I can manage challenging classes (taught challenging classes as unqualified using strategies observed as TA). But why does a school culture vary, even between schools with similar intakes?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Staff consistency. It all falls apart where even just a few people 'interpret' the policy in their own way, choosing what they will enforce and what they don't want to or can't be bothered to.
    In addition, the head must 'hold the line', even in the face of objections from parents. If the head sticks to his/her guns, the policy will work; if s/he doesn't - children see that it's arguable, if they get support from home in arguing.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Totally agree. If a head wavers on such matters pupils and parents see it as weakness and think they can do what they like.
    Sticking to your guns in difficult times pays off in the long run.

5. Our school fails again and again with behaviour and every time, it's because our illustrious SLT had a burst of enthusiasm with new rules following yet another period of consultation, and then the moment a parent complains, they change their minds, deviate from the party line and won't back the teacher 100%. Frankly, our SLT are pathetic and cause 100% of the problems.