1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management paradigm shift

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by mh41st, Sep 1, 2018.

1. mh41st

mh41st New commenter

'Instead of expecting teachers to manage pupils' behaviour, pupils should be expected to manage their own behaviour.'

Are there any problems with this statement?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

1. IMHO, this whole issue revolves around expectation. The use of the word expecting, implies that all teachers are capable of successfully managing pupil behaviour. Teachers are individuals, and therefore display differing levels of ability in this area. Some are really good at it. Some cope with difficulty. Others struggle with it.

The same issue applies to the pupils. Some can do it reasonably well. Some seem unable to do it. Some see no reason why they should be expected to do it. You could restrict teacher training to only those people who are good at managing classroom behaviour, but I imagine that would reduce the diversity of those entering the profession.

2. There needs to be a clear distinction between managing, and being responsible for, the behaviour of pupils. The teacher may be expected to do their best to manage behaviour in the classroom, but the pupils themselves should be held responsible for their behaviour. Accepting responsibility is not something that can be taught.

3. I don't doubt that allowing pupils to determine what is acceptable in terms of classroom behaviour, could work in some schools. But expecting it work in a lot of schools, would be akin to expecting a litter of puppies to conduct their own toilet training, and complaining bitterly when they don't do it to our satisfaction.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You can only control your own behaviour.

I like the way you explain it elder-cat in point 2 - the difference between managing and being held responsible for behaviour.