1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management - just getting them quiet!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by anon874, Sep 14, 2011.

1. New school, new classes, new faces.
    Having quite a bit of difficulty just getting them settled at my new school.
    I have a starter ready, praise people for getting on with it but by the time I've got Jimmy quiet.... Barry is talking and then Jimmy has started up again.
    I've limited space (I used to moved people around, naughty table etc) but it can take 10 mins+ to get them settled for the register - and they want the register done within 5 mins of the lesson start!
    I've started to use the school's beahvouir log/detention system but that's creating more conflict, moaning and noise rather than showing them there are consequences to their "choices".
    Any ideas?

2. ie. de-merit, break detention, lunch detention then afterschool.

I try to be fair - however - nobody can get past "well, freddy was talking to why isn't he getting xyz detention". Telling them I'm dealing with them or to worry about their own behaviour isn't working.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Stick with the schools behaviour policy and apply it rigorously. In the short term things can be quite disruptive, but you have to show the students that you mean business and that there are consequences to their behaviour.
    Things will get better if you stick to it, but don't expect it to happen overnight.
    Good luck.

4. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

I used to have this problem, I found that lining them up outside the class beforehand helps. Give a clear 3 point instruction.
    1. Go IN
    2. Stand Behind A Chair (the standing bit is vital as they'll feel more vulnerable)
    3. Quietly
    If <u>anyone</u> fails, send the <u>whole class</u> out again. At first this will be a bit of a game but they'll soon get pi55ed off and get the idea. Best strategy I ever learned.
    Dont let them sit down for the starter until you've got the register done.

Might work, did for me.
    Pedro

5. Dear Frognsausage,
    I thought you might be interested in a TES weekend workshop which is coming up on October 2nd - Behaviour Management - being in charge of the classroom, not a firefighter. For further information please visit www.tesweekendworkshop60.eventbrite.com or contact us on advice@tes.co.uk
    Regards,
    TES Careers Advice Service

6. I like it Pedro...I've been meaning to try that with one or two classes.....I just need to try it....

I recall PE lessons where we had to change into our kit...and then change back....and then back....and then.....that definitely worked in getting everyone quiet....

No sign of ADHD or behavioural issues then!!

7. Just as an additonal thought (Im only a voluntary TA btw) but would be interested to know if this is allowed. Are you allowed to do group punishment? ie: if Jimmy feels that he is going to missbehave then the whole class will be punished as a result (obviously with warnings prior)?

8. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

And Jimmy wins. Jimmy has the power to do what he wants. The rest of the class moaning at him puts him at the centre of attention. Been there. Done that. Lost the T-shirt.
    My classes are almost all 'challenging' and mostly boys (secondary).
    I started as supply and became permanent within 3 months, but I had a very difficult 1st year, and I've been teaching forever.
    This year things are much better. They know I'm here to stay and they know that actions = consequences. But this applies to positive actions as well as negative ones, and I focus on positive as much as I possible can.
    All classes (and I still have most of the same 'challenging' classes) are not allowed into the room - it's my room - till they are given permission. They stand behind their chairs, as defined by me, till they are registered. They must answer politely, so anyone who answers 'here' or 'yeah' is not allowed to sit. 'Yes, Miss' or 'Yes Miss Gruoch' is fine. 'Good Morning Miss Gruoch' is responded to with 'Good morning John, please sit down'.
    I've done the 'Line up again and answer properly' - they get bored and get the idea very, very quickly.
    Chatting - if I have to stop for chatting a mark goes on the board. 1 mark = 1 minute added to the lesson (works best before break/lunch/end of school). 'Can we earn it back?' results in an explanation that you can't recover time. If you could, I'd still be young and pretty. Works best if you are ancient and not at all pretty.
    Now, this all sounds very draconian, but I use a whole lot of humour to leaven the mix.

9. Re the register, with challenging classes I usually stop doing it if they are not silent and make them stay behind to register in their own time. If it's a fire register i.e. one that has to be done within 5 minutes, I get them settled and fill it in without calling it out (head count and double check with the odd kid you're unsure of at this early stage of term.) THEN keep them back and go through the process even though it's already been done. That way you're not in trouble with the office/SLT but they are still getting the message.
    With my worst ever class (had them since Yr 9, now yr 11) I still use this- quickly scan to see who's missing and fill it in without going through the whole process.
    Ideally it's great to be able to take a calm register quickly in silence but until you've got them firmly under control, try it a different way. And as someone else says, when you're more established in a school, things magically fall into place and each year is easier than the last.

10. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Tell the class that in future, punishments will be increased if they argue. Then definitely do it evry time.
    When you've announced this to the class for the first time, follow it by saying something like "I know this won't matter to most of you because you won't get in trouble in the first place - well done to those people". This will help prevent a them and me situation.

11. YesMrBronson

[​IMG]

12. Thank you! That actually makes a lot of sense.

13. Have a good list.
    Write down the names of those behaving on the board. When you are waiting for them to be quiet write down the names of those waiting quietly on the board. I do this with noisy groups and I am always surprised at how many of them really want to be good and praised.

14. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Crackin idea! if only I knew the kid's names [​IMG]

15. seating plan?

16. With one of my classes, who take forever to settle, I have the seating plan on the projector, showing on the whiteboard, during the starter... I then have magnetic (red) stars, that get put next to the names of kids who are behaving, and if the whole table are quiet and ready, they get a gold star in the middle of their table... They know the first one to get the gold star will be the first table to leave at the end of lesson.
    Major bonus is, I don't need to know their names as such, just that the child on table 2 on the right hand side is ready....And both myself and the TA (who is fantastic) can pop stars up during that first section.
    This works better because my lessons are doubles, always backing on to either break, lunch, or the end of the school day, but it could be linked to another reward somehow.

The ones who are consistently noisy lose out two ways - one, they automatically end up being late out of the classroom anyway, which effectively can turn into a detention, and two, because they're not earning as many stars, the chances of them earning the end of term prize is very very slim...

17. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Some schools don't allow this - for any reason. I write the names of kids who have borrowed pens on the board and when I started they really, really hated it (they don't mind now and I let them write their own names, which they do without being asked).
    PS: I see behaviour is high on the list for new Ofsted - so that's me failed for 2 classes, then.

18. what not even allowed for good behaviour? Ridiculous!

19. YesMrBronson

I have never come across a school that has banned the use of names on the board.

20. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

I have.