1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management.....i've been away and feel out of my depth!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by julia pearl, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Oh MissSymmonds you have my sympathy! Please remember that being away fro teaching for any time leaves you feeling like everything has changed dramatically. That feeling is SO normal. I 's say re Golden Time .. whatever works for you do it. My 'share teacher' has just returned to a classroom position after a few years. I feel she is BRILLIANT because she seems to know what to do. Questioned about it .. she is exactly feeling what you are feeling, but smiles and battles on.
    My behaviour management with a large and difficult class is 'very firm boundaries', but mine aren't nearly as firm as some! I do my utmost to stay positive, but sometimes it' s a survival thing! And actually after having your own children your outlook changes.

2. Hi welcome back,
    I am sure it must be a huge culture shock coming back to work after marnity leave, I know it was for me, but teaching is like riding a bike, it will come back. I too have been through the 25+ with behaviour issues many times my head used to do it on purpose, and the only way to survive is be nice and smile. It will be exhausting especially having I presume a new baby to deal with. Get help and support or at least someone to talk to everyone pretends they manage fine but they don't others may well be glad to share similar experiences.
    On a practical level;
    Remember they are only 4/5 years old no matter how awful their behaviour may seem, its what they have thus far learned.
    Your job is to teach them otherwise, catch them being good
    absolutely litter your comments to them with positives, fantastic, brilliant superb excellent sitting, listening. looking, learning.
    avoid rewarding them with comments on bad behaviour, just look disapprovingly for a brief moment or shake your head and immediately praise as many other children as you can.
    When you do ask a child to do or not do something remember to thank them and reinforce what they are doing.
    Praise praise praise, you know what to do, don't let them get the upper hand by dragging your attention to their bad behaviour resulting in you naggingthem.
    They have become masters of bad behaviour in their short lives, you want to win their hearts and minds and the only way to do it is enthusiasm and positive praise.
    "Talk and spin" tell them what you want and expect then turn to someone who is doing it and praise.
    Don't be surprised if you can barely walk to the staffroom at break exhausted by being sooooooooooooo nice, but it will be worth it in a few weeks you will win them over but remember you are in contro.
    You want your classroom to be a nice place so you must lead by example. (thats not to say you don't let them know when you are cross or their behaviour is unacceptable.) but identify the inappropriate behaviour then find someone to praise and smile at.
    Kids especially little ones love to have approval smiles, thanks and responsibility.
    Goodluck! you will win them over and in a few weeks you will have forgotten your stage fright.
    bestwishes xxx
    Teaching is so much about a performance so put on that positive mask and win your audience.

3. Hi
    All of the information offered by the others is wonderful and ll all help. the strategy I would offer is the three C's Communication, Consistency and Consequences. Lots of positive communication and responding to the positive behaviours as mentioned by othjer is always a good idea, all children like to know they are getting attention and positive communication is a simple way to give them it. Remaining consistant allows children to understand what you mean by your requests. Try to keep the same terminology throughout an instruction. Finally children should have boundaries and know what will happen if they cross the line and what the consequences of stayin in the boundries aswell.
    I'm sure you'll be fine next week.