1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour Management - How to deal with 'unknown-sound-makers'

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by oceanandarock, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Hey there,
    Just a quick question relating to trouble-makers in the classroom:
    I have been in a situation many times where certain members of the class make 'chirping' sounds or 'beep' sound that are near impossible to source to the sound-makers.
    Typically, there are at least two members of the class in cahoots, so that when I get near one suspect, the chirping can be heard on the side of the room.
    What would be the best way to deal with a situation where you can't prove one individual is misbehaving, but feel the need to take action before the chirping sounds escalate?
    Anybody had the same problem in their classes?

2. Every rogue noise is a minute off break for the whole class. They'll soon stop when everyone else is seriously hacked off with them.

3. I have had the same problem.
    I have created a reward system for the class where by every lesson that there are no silly noises they receive a tick or a star or whatever...
    If they make 5 lessons then they get rewarded. Similarly to the previous post the class will hopefully pull up whoever is making the noises.

A more direct approach is to ask a trusted pupil who is making the noises and then follow up. Find the accused and speak to the pupil away from the class and challenge them about their behaviour.
    Hope this helps

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I agree with PFF. Except I don't start at 1 minute. I start at 5 minutes. This way I say to the class they can work off the 5 minutes so it encourages them to be extra good to get the 'reward' of time back.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Doesn't that give them the message that they can get away with one such infringement every lesson and not have to suffer any consequences?

6. I agree. If you have dealt a sanction you follow it. Time lost can not be claimed back in my class!

7. Yes, but my sanctions always include the possibility of earning back. I was skeptical at first, but, for many students, it works. Mine like the idea that they are never irredeemably bad and react well to it. It appeals to their sense of justice.

8. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

In situaitons like this, I usually call their bluff by saying something like:

"I know the silly nois-makers must think they are clever enough to get away with it, but I know, and the rest of the class know, that they are not as clever as they think they are. I suggest you stop now before I am forced to embarrass you horribly in front of the rest of the group AND have to call your parents and explain exactly why you've been given detention".
    I do this whilst looking vaguely around the room, not giving away that I don't actually know who it is.
    If the noise continues, especially if whilst my back is turned, I follow this up with:
    "You may think I can't tell who it is because my back is turned, however, the two people sitting next to you clearly know it's you and have given you away - I suggest they never attempt to play poker as they'll lose a fortune".
    This then usually allows me to actually find out who it is because not only is the child paranoid, but their neighbours will also look incredibly guilty.
    If this tactic fails, I'd introduce the 'everyone is staying back' tactic.
    Alternatively, I simply say that I'm keep everyone back but that, if the culprit would like to maintain the respect of the rest of the group, they should be man enough/woman enough to own up and excuse their friends from the punishment. This usually either gets the kid to own up, or gets another child to 'grass' on them either straight away, or later when they know no-one is listening and would know it was them.
    In general, I find that the one thing children hate more than anything is injustice, thus they confess or 'grass' so that the innocent aren't punshed unfairly.

9. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I see both points of view, although I must admit that my classroom works very much like PFF's. If you've been dealt a sanction then you are stuck with it. However, you are NOT barred from gaining rewards for other, more positive behaviours.
    For instance, if a child has their name on the board for poor behaviour, this doesn't mean that they can't receive a house point for producing good work towards the end of the lesson. They will still be issued with the promised sanction, however. In order for this to work, I take a great deal of time to explain this system to the children at the beginning of the school year, and reaffirm this stance each time I hand out a sanction so that children know that I will acknowledge their improvement but this won't excuse the poor behaviour/effort from earlier in the lesson.

10. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

If I am dealing with a specific child then it is never irreversible. When I am dealing with a whole class problem I use the add time/ earn back time to get them to work as a group and show responsibility for themselves and others. If the poor behaviour continues then time gets added on and if the class are persistantly bad/disruptive then they won't get any time back and the method won't be used.