1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management help!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by laura5899, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I am coming to the end of my second placement and have managed to get a job sorted for next year and I am really looking forward to it. My behaviour management in most of my classes is good and I can get the children settled quickly and engage in the lesson.However, there is one class that I am still really struggling with....bottom set Year 9 and I just feel like I am getting no where with them after 10 weeks.

Last week I had a lesson with them and no matter what strategies I tried I couldnt get them to a) listen to me, b) follow instructions and c) do the work. I am teaching them Unit 4 from the ICT OCR Nationals programme and they are all creating a multimedia presentation on an area they are interested in so the task is engaging and something they ultimately enjoying doing. However, after every lesson I feel like banging my head against a wall. I got asked by two of them if the other teacher wasnt teaching them because 'I am too stupid and need to improve'. I dread the lesson every week because I know what it is going to be like.

I follow the school behaviour system but I am just wondering if you have any strategies you use with your most 'difficult class'.

2. If it makes you feel any better, I am in my NQT year and I have one classs that is still the bane of my life. The only comfort is that they are just as bad for the (very experienced) teacher I share the class with! All my colleagues tell me that if there is just one nightmare class each year - that's a good year!!
    In my PGCE year I had a class that sounds just like yours. I never thought I really cracked it, but when I returned to the school for a second placement, they were gutted that I wasn't teaching them again because "we learn so much more with you".....but they had made similar comments as your students whilst I was there.....?!?
    One suggestion I have (and apologies if you already have) is make sure that the timescales of the project are not vague. I made that mistake initially with a different OCR course. Give clear guidelines as to what the absolute minimum amount of work that must be completed each lesson and the consequences if that is not met.

3. allotmentlady

allotmentlady New commenter

Raffle tickets!
    I have just over two weeks left on placement. I have one badly behaved class and I started a system of giving raffle tickets out today for good contributions/ behaviour and took them away for bad behaviour.
    It worked quite well. Gave focus to the ones who usually misbehave.
    Well done for the job.I have just got one too !

4. Hi allotmentlady, I like the idea of raffle tickets, what way do you ue them? Do you give them to students as they enter the classroom and they all start with one or do you reward them for positive behaviour and they start with none?

Thanks, I cant wait to get started and leave PGCE (and other teachers classes behind), Just want my classes now and set my expectations.
    Also is there a way you can just reply to a comment without having to quote someone else all the time?

5. The nice thing about placements is that they come to an end! Learn from the experience and start afresh when in post. try Michael Marland's The Craft of the Classroom I've used its principles for 20 years and have always recommended PGCE students to use it to. Some tips from it (if I remember rightly):
    Don't let them in the class before you
    Don't let them out until they are well ordered - a good end leads to abetter start
    Use a hot spot - always stand in the same place when you want their attention
    Make everything yo udo authoritative, especially non-controversial things which are more sustainable
    Don't make threats that you can't carry out; never fail to carry out a threat
    Don't show any sugn of weakness - eye contact is the most important tool a teacher has
    Don't use gimmicks like raising your hand and expecting them to as well until silent: all such approaches are short term and are no substitute for authority

P