1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour Management for an Autistic child

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ladybird22, Apr 25, 2012.

1. We have used the word finished and put up our hand with a little boy we had with ASD when he did something inappropriate . We then redirected him to another activity we know he enjoyed.
    If his new interest is pushing can you find something more appropriate for him to knock over like maybe skittles. Our little boy went through a stage of wanting to pull mobiles down and so we said finished and took him to look for some thing else he could pull. I know every child with ASD is different but I hope these suggestions might help. We are lucky and have a fantastic out reach worker who came in regualrly to give us advise and strategies does your LA have any thing similar? Good Luck you sound like your doing a great job helping him to feel safe and secure.

2. Have you tried social stories with him? If you google 'social stories' it will come up with lots of examples for all ages. You could create one about running into people. I have used them with a child with Aspergers and it worked well,

3. I, too, would advocate social stories. Carol Gray's book might be a good starting point.

4. Gosh, this sounds difficult! The little boy you describe sounds a lot like my son - he's autistic, three and a half, non-verbal etc - so I know how very hard it is to teach 'no'! I find with my boy that he goes through phases where a game is a complete favourite/obsession for a while and then we don't see it again for ages, so hopefully he will grow out of this phase quickly!

Would distraction work? With my son, if he does something really bad or dangerous, since there is no real point trying to discipline him as he wouldn't make the connection, I tend to say/sign 'no' very firmly, sometimes keeping physical hold of him if necessary, remove him (or the thing that is causing the problem eg if he is playing with the telephone) then distract him with something else - in his case I usually sing one of his favourite songs as that's his favourite thing. Sorry, not very helpful but wanted you to know I'd read your post and thought about it!

5. Thank you everyone.
    Great idea about social stories i will get right on to it.
    I do hope he tires of this game soon and moves on to something less challenging :)
    I will let you know how i get on
    :)