1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management doesn't work for a few classes

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by maggieDD, Sep 21, 2017.

1. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Hi

I have been teaching art in a new primary school since the beginning of term. Out of 19 classes, 3 are an utter nightmare. What do you do when a (year 5) class barge into class loudly and when you make them do it three times they still aren't quiet? What do you do when you issue a warming for a child turning their back on you during instruction and then they respond with "I don't want to be here, I don't want to be here" over and over, very loudly? What do you do when you set a task and a year 5 child scribbles all over their page? I even had their own class teacher in with me today and their behaviour was exactly the same - when he told one child he was going to speak to her mum, she point blank carried on doing what she was doing. There are several children in the class who do not respond to ANYTHING.
    Today I felt like never teaching again..which is silly, I know, as the majority of classes are a joy to teach.
    Any advice would be very welcome!

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

With the year 5 class learning to enter the room quietly is there a sanction you can give like they have to make up the wasted time during their break? Have a stop watch and time it. For every minute that they are wasting your time, you will have them make it up at break or after school. Get permission from the Head first or your line manager to see if they thinkmkt is a good idea. The ones who are following the instructions won't have lose their golden time or free time- only the ones misbehaving. Phone the parents of the ones following instructions to give praise or send post cards home.

Regarding the other issues you raise, it sounds rather complex and it will take you some time to find out the history and what has been tried with these kids prior to your arrival. Theere must be a history to it all since they suddenly didn't start acting in this manner out of the blue. Ask the other teachers what they know and the senco may have records or can give you some insight into why certain students are behaving in certain ways. Is the Head supportive?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. KRkazoo

KRkazoo New commenter

Send out the behaviour policy to parents, renew signatures and book a meeting with parents to go over expectations, rewards and sanctions. Then start again.