1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management: could gender bias be the key to tackling challenging conduct in pupils?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 14, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

One teacher asks whether it is worth considering the different needs of boys and girls and if other teachers have found this approach helpful in improving pupils’ behaviour in the classroom:

‘…Observing the teenage girls that I teach, they have the desire to do well, to please the teacher, to learn through discussion and practice. For behaviour, I find that a lot of dialogic discussion, silent writing and maximum praise is the key to a productive classroom experience.

Boys are different. More and more, I find myself deploying vastly different teaching and behaviour strategies for the boys. Crystal clear instructions, shorter and more focused tasks and specific sets of requirements seem to work better for them. They respond to competition and praise. And once they know how high my expectations are, they reach, and exceed, them. However, they will usually try and get away with the least that they can at the start.’

Katie White is an English teacher in the South West of England.

What do you think? Are you convinced that treating children differently according to their gender can really have positive effects on their behaviour? If yes/no, why?

https://www.tes.com/news/behaviour-should-we-treat-girls-and-boys-differently

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

If by gender Katie means sex then, on average, yes.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It needs to be more nuanced than that. There are many boys who enjoy open ended challenges, I have come across a good few grumpy disaffected girls who certainly didn't want to please their teachers.
    You have a positive effect on their behaviour if you can juggle the need to treat them as individuals along with the need to be fair.

4. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Boys and girls are different? Quick, stop the presses!

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How do you get to write such rubbish in a national publication?

Why don't we ever hear from intelligent people in this sort of thing?

I don't think I've read such guff for a very long time.