1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management advice needed ASAP please!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by blueberries, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Am looking for some quick advice please, so I have a good day with the children tomorrow!!
    I am on my own ( reception) with no TA support. The children are being quite noisy at the moment e.g. Very hard to get them quiet for the register, some refuse to sit on the carpet for whole class time etc.
    Any suggestions for children who will not sit on the carpet quietly / not sit on the carpet atall - I have one little girl (A) who will not ever sit on the carpet sometimes ( she sits on a chair) and nothing I say or do will get her off it if she decides she needs to be on it. Have tried both rewards and punishments and she just does as she pleases!
    It seems to be turning into a whole class problem where children just won't listen. What can I do?
    Thanks so much for any advice :)

2. Am looking for some quick advice please, so I have a good day with the children tomorrow!!
    I am on my own ( reception) with no TA support. The children are being quite noisy at the moment e.g. Very hard to get them quiet for the register, some refuse to sit on the carpet for whole class time etc.
    Any suggestions for children who will not sit on the carpet quietly / not sit on the carpet atall - I have one little girl (A) who will not ever sit on the carpet sometimes ( she sits on a chair) and nothing I say or do will get her off it if she decides she needs to be on it. Have tried both rewards and punishments and she just does as she pleases!
    It seems to be turning into a whole class problem where children just won't listen. What can I do?
    Thanks so much for any advice :)

3. If children won't be quiet for register do a visual registration as they come in.
    Little girl who sits on a chair. Let her sit there but say, "Anyone who does not sit down on the carpet will miss playtime" Don't name her, or address comment to her. Say, "I'm writing down the names of anyone who isn't sitting on the carpet .... so i know who has to stay in" write her name, "Mmm... x", then ignore her. She knows then she will stay in and that you are not happy about the behaviour, and also that you're not going to get involved in a verbal fight about it.
    Ignore children who are not complying. Give praise, stickers, smiles to children who are. Say, "Who will be next on the carpet?" "well done x" - child who comes and sits down, continue to say, "Who will be next?" until everyone who will sit down is sitting down. Do something fun with them (forget learning objectives for now) eg singing silly songs. Praise everyone who is staying on the carpet and joining in - include their names in the songs (you can find ways of doing this in lots of songs).
    Alongside this use some consequences for non-compliant behaviour. Approach non-compliant children one-to-one after the carpet time and tell them what the consequence of not coming to the carpet when asked will be (eg missing playtime). Enforce it without any fussing. Say to the class "X is not coming on the carpet so he will lose playtime" and make sure he loses it. Use the 'good' children as support. "X hasn't come to the carpet. What will happen?" But address the comment to the class, not to the child. Give the child as little eye-contact or personal attention as you can.
    This is what I would do. If you've already tried it, ignore and wait for better ideas. If you have a behaviour policy with steps, use those. If necessary, get help from other teachers/ head teacher. Arrange for another teacher to be the place where children go if they do not comply, or where they go if kept in at playtime to give it more impact..

4. I've just reread my post and need to make clear - don't enforce punishment until after you have told children about it. If they don't sit on the carpet, tell them what will happen next time.