1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour management advice needed ASAP please!!!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by blueberries, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Am looking for some quick advice please, so I have a good day with the children tomorrow!!

I am on my own ( reception) with no TA support. The children are being quite noisy at the moment e.g. Very hard to get them quiet for the register, some refuse to sit on the carpet for whole class time etc.
    Any suggestions for children who will not sit on the carpet quietly / not sit on the carpet atall - I have one little girl (A) who will not ever sit on the carpet sometimes ( she sits on a chair) and nothing I say or do will get her off it if she decides she needs to be on it. Have tried both rewards and punishments and she just does as she pleases!
    It seems to be turning into a whole class problem where children just won't listen. What can I do?
    Thanks so much for any advice :)

2. Am looking for some quick advice please, so I have a good day with the children tomorrow!!

I am on my own ( reception) with no TA support. The children are being quite noisy at the moment e.g. Very hard to get them quiet for the register, some refuse to sit on the carpet for whole class time etc.
    Any suggestions for children who will not sit on the carpet quietly / not sit on the carpet atall - I have one little girl (A) who will not ever sit on the carpet sometimes ( she sits on a chair) and nothing I say or do will get her off it if she decides she needs to be on it. Have tried both rewards and punishments and she just does as she pleases!
    It seems to be turning into a whole class problem where children just won't listen. What can I do?
    Thanks so much for any advice :)

3. The youngest I have taught were year 7 so this may not be too helpful. You could try a volume graph on the board and explain to them where they are and where they need to be on the graph (when register is taken at 0, maybe for another bit of work at 2) making it visual really helps and being able to explain the consequences should the noise go into the 'red' zone works too. Just a thought, not too clued up about sprogs that young to be that helpful I am afraid.

4. 1. Something I tried at my old teaching practice school, if you have A4 sheets of paper one green with a smily face, one yellow with a annoyed face and one red with a sad face. As the volume increases hold the cards up in succession.
    2. Have sheets of paper with all the class names on it, when you ask for silence or sitting on the carpet have the sheet on the board behind you or something. Ask each pupil quietens down or sits down put a smiley face sticker on, 10 smileys= one merit or something...it works well with a Yr 7 class I have.
    3. For the pupil A who wont move, explain to her very calmly that if she does not do as you say she will have a black dot on her chart- similar to the whole coal thing with Santa- then say if she gets 10 black dots she will not be allowed to do x or something similar. Use the same incentive with the rest of the class. If they realise that little Poppy is getting smileys theyll wanna know why and then copy her...hoping anyway.
    4. Those who are frequent noisey pupils or just dont listen, separate them in the lesson during 'fun' things and explain to them that due to their noise levels they will not be taking part in x activity. Or keep them in at break, if they waste your time; youre going to take theirs.
    5. If you draw your classroom on the board with the tables on, assign each table a 'Table Head' they will be responsible for making sure their table do as you say. Each time they dont, their table gets a point, the more points the more naughty they are. Similarly, the less points table will get a prize. This works well with a Yr 8 class that I have.
    Good luck
    x

5. Make a point of focusing on and praising up the ones who are doing the right thing, from the very moment you walk into the room. Try to have things as structured as you can from the moment school begins, eg as they walk into class, explain exactly what you need them to do- you need to go and sit on the floor. Then straight away praise the kids who do as you have asked, give them a sticker etc. Littlies usually respond well to this type of praise and want to do the right thing also. Maybe even mark out an area where they should sit right on the carpet with masking tape. Be REALLY explict about what you want and how..tell them ..when I am sitting here, and ask you to come to the floor, you need to sit here and do this etc. Praise, praise praise the ones who do the right thing, and give the evil eye to little Miss I want to sit on a chair. The sticker idea already suggested sounds good too, with the black dots.
    Good luck!