1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour Leadership

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Lizbit, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Lizbit

Lizbit New commenter

I’m starting a new role after Easter and from what I’ve seen on interview and on visits behaviour is a huge issue. Low level disruption is rife in the majority of lessons (but not all; a handful of staff/rooms are calm and purposeful), there are students out of lessons and sometimes deliberately going to the wrong lessons. Behaviour at social times is poor with fights and common occurrence and students deliberately setting off the fire alarm. Many staff seem to have ‘given up’.

Has anyone turned around a similar school? Any advice on first and next steps gratefully received.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

long term it needs a consistent approach backed by all staff, and where they know that SLT will support them absolutely. Short term - maybe speak to a couple of the "calm" staff and get their take on it.
    Depending on what your role is...SLT? Middle leader? Speak to other staff at your level and see what they think works/doesn't work/has been tried etc

3. Lizbit

Lizbit New commenter

My role will be SLT and leading on Personal Dev, Behaviour and Welfare. Behaviour seems to be the most pressing issue though.

4. semolina29

semolina29 New commenter

Primary or high?
    Settle in, see how the land lies them work with SLT backing on a whole school behaviour audit. All staff and pupils ( or school council). Ask 3 questions:
    What currently works?
    What doesn't work?
    What suggestions do you have?
    Collate the responses and feedback. This can then form the basis of reform and all stakeholders have ownership. As a newbie you're then not taking over which will win hearts and minds . It's a slow process but worthwhile.

purplecarrot and Lizbit like this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Whole school BFL training . Rewards and Sanctions policies as as watertight / transparent as you can get them . Persistency, consistency at all times ...

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Behaviour is a symptom of the other two in many ways. If you get the personal development and welfare right, then the behaviour tends to follow.

Yes, you need a watertight, clear and consistent system which is always backed by SLT, even when you arrive at an incident and think the teacher has messed up. Back the teachers in front of pupils every single time and sort out the mistakes in private. (Everyone makes them, be kind!) Clear sanctions and rewards, that are not over the top and totally solid boundaries and things should improve pretty quickly.

Much of your ongoing focus should be on welfare and personal development if you actually want to tackle behaviour in the long term. I bet you anything you like that if you do some pupil questionnaires, the worst behaved pupils will have the most welfare and development issues. What opportunities are there for form tutors to speak 1:1 with their form? What facilities are there for those having a tricky time? What restorative systems are in place for when things go wrong? Can everyone achieve? Does everyone feel safe?

NIHistoryTeacher likes this.
  7. finfin

finfin New commenter

Get Paul Dix in for a training session, it was the way inset day I ever had in mainstream