1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

behaviour issues

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by t00060105, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I need advice and techniques.I have a year 1 class and they are very loud.They have so many mixed personalities that their stories he said she said are driving me mad.I also have a boy that because he is mothered alot and has tantrums where he ends up sobbing loudly and upsetting the rest of the class.I was thinking enforcing a cushion for him to sit out when he behaves like this and use a temperature gauge but Im open to new ideas....

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi there:
    1. All classes are bundles of personalities. Don't try to respond to them all, or you'll look inconstant. Express yourself in a clear, confident manner in order for them to see you as the authority in the room, Establish clear boundaries by telling them what is and isn't acceptable. And insist on it, without fail. They'll learn quickly what you say and what you actually do.
    2. With the over mothered child, don't compromise. Whenever the next tantrum comes, have a prepared strategy to deal with it. If at all possible, have a TA in the class who will take the child away as soon as the gale starts to blow, so that he learns that big dramatic gestures only result in his removal from an audience.
    3. With the 'he saids, she saids', don't feed them- many children use this as an act of manipulation, watching with glee as the grown up acts as their stooge. Try to position yourself so that you see as much of what goes on as possible- with time, all teachers develop an odd, crab-like motion that allows them to be omniscient. Then tell the children that to be fair you can only act on things you have seen OR have good evidence for OR are very serious; this allows you to still follow up on bullying etc, but strategically ignore lower level activities, like dirty looks. Besides, once they start accusing each other, you separate them by desk and by task in order to reduce friction anyway.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

3. great I will try that out.Thanks

4. I tell them I will listen to them about it at the next break and put intials on the board to remind me. Amazing how many no longer feel the need to talk or have forgotten by the time the break arrives.
    I also use the positive tell after lunch while waiting for the register to be fetched works well as a bringing down activity too.