1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

behaviour issue

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tmtm, Feb 9, 2012.

1. I have a boy in my class who I am finding difficult to handle at the moment.
    It is nothing major he does, just low level disturbances and I feel that I am correcting him all the time. For example pulling faces during carpet time, not sitting properly, calling out, if you ask the children not to do something, he will immediately do it. He is very defiant.
    I have tried all of my usual strategies to deal with this but they have all failed.
    Would be grateful of some help on how to deal with this.

2. I have a boy in my class who I am finding difficult to handle at the moment.
    It is nothing major he does, just low level disturbances and I feel that I am correcting him all the time. For example pulling faces during carpet time, not sitting properly, calling out, if you ask the children not to do something, he will immediately do it. He is very defiant.
    I have tried all of my usual strategies to deal with this but they have all failed.
    Would be grateful of some help on how to deal with this.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Try (and I realise this may be difficult) to 'ignore' a lot of the low level disruption (pulling faces during carpet time, not sitting properly) he may just be revelling in any attention and 'learnt' this is one way to get it.
    Presumably you've tried isolating one behavoiur and using a behaviour chart for things like calling out, if you ask the children not to do something, he will immediately do it?
    Also, again, this may be difficult 'Catch him being good and praise as much as possible. (Unless he's like one child I had, who just <u>could not cope</u> with praise and played up even more!)

4. Thank you Lara for replying to my post. I think you are right that he is enjoying the negative attention he is getting through his behaviour. I will try to ignore it tomorrow and see how he reacts. My only worry however is that will it influence the other children when he is not corrected? What are your thoughts on that?
    You mentioned a behaviour chart. What kind to you suggest for this?
    Thank you again for your reply. I appreciate it.

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

One thing i've found works with low level disruption is sitting them at the back. That way, all the children have their backs to them and they can't easily turn around and get attention from the others. It's worked with my boy, and I can send him a look across the heads of the others without having to address him as well!