1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour Issue.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lreay, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I am an NQT working in a Y1/Y2 mixed class part time. I have a particular group of boys who display very challenging behaviour from not participating in class by disrupting others, running out, hiding under tables to fighting with each other.

I am in the middle of researching a variety of behaviour management strategies which are positive for the boys to respond to.

Any ideas? I would much appreciate it :)

Many Thanks,
    Louis

2. Hi all,
    I am an NQT working in a Y1/Y2 mixed class part time. I have a particular group of boys who display very challenging behaviour from not participating in class by disrupting others, running out, hiding under tables to fighting with each other.

I am in the middle of researching a variety of behaviour management strategies which are positive for the boys to respond to.

Any ideas? I would much appreciate it :)

Many Thanks,
    Louis

3. Does the school have a behaviour policy? It is normal for a school policy to name stages which a child will move through. For instance start with a verbal warning, then have a few minutes 'thinking time' if behaviour does not improve, then if necessary go to another class. Of course these are all sanctions rather than positive responses. Positive responses would be about praising children who are doing the correct thing, rewarding with praise, stickers, house points etc. You could try giving the disruptive children responsibilities. You could have a session with the class identifying the rules that are needed, described in positive terms eg 'Use classroom voices' rather than 'Don't shout', and refer to the rules during the day to re-I force them and to thank the children who are remembering and following them.But it sounds as though you will need to use sanctions for these boys, firmly, fairly, and without losing your cool. Explain and go through them first, of course, and then if bad behaviour occurs simply refer to them - "This is your warning, do you know what will happen next if you continue to ...." (name the behaviour, keep it specific). Also, check out the school policy.

4. And, with the children running out of class, get some advice and support from a senior person.

5. Sorry to keep adding bits! You also need to talk to their other teacher and make sure you present a united front.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would suggest these boys need firm and clear sanctions before they get to the point of fighting and running out of class.

Praise is all very well, but these children are 5 and 6 years old, they need to know that bad behaviour has unpleasant consequences.

Sod your research for a short time, the learning of the class and of these boys is far more important!