1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour in schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bajan, Sep 12, 2019.

1. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Link doesn't work for me

What's the name of the school?

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

4. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Au contraire Of no interest whatsoever their conclusions

Par for the course ; ever was it so

Well at least since brylcreemKen and the Great (sic) Education Reform Act 1989

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Hi-larry-us! as Mr Burns would say.

I particularly liked "as a matter of urgency, improve pupils’ personal development, behaviour and welfare
    in the secondary phase by ensuring that:
    – all staff follow the school’s agreed behaviour management policy consistently in lessons
    – leaders devise and implement an action plan to reduce incidents of serious misbehaviour
    – leaders use monitoring information about pupils’ behaviour to devise suitable strategies to help improve behaviour
    – staff are trained to manage pupils’ challenging behaviour successfully
    – pupils arrive to the school on time, wearing the correct uniform, and with the correct equipment to start lessons promptly."

Do the parents and the adolescents themselves bear no responsibility? How do you ensure correct uniform and equipment unless you supply it yourself? Sounds like a nice primary got a carp comp bolted onto it and are unsurprisingly struggling.

chelsea2 likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I weep.

Yesterday I was chatting with my friend who is from India. She told me her boy in Year 6 was struggling at school as he did not understand why the children behaved so poorly. She told me that in her home culture, children are raised to show respect in this order-first to your parents. Then to your teachers. Then to God.

When I see what is happening in the British education system I increasingly feel disbelief. I can no longer rationalise or explain or decipher the multiple layers of wrongness that are compounding. Other than to take sanity from my friends who know and adhere to the educational principals of multiple lands afar, where it would actually be unheard of to castigate a teacher when a child has done wrong.

I despair that education does not happen,and in it's a place,a sytematic institutionalised way of damaging people who work hard.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I meant "instead"
    was thinking in forrin speek

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Are you really surprised that the teachers were blamed? Everyone knows that teachers are responsible for every evil known to man.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The report has just come out for another Brum school I was working in before Easter. Inadequate. Again staff get the blame but it was SMT's taking away of any authority the staff had in controlling behaviour that drove the school off the rails.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mrs B did some supply there a few years back before it was an all through school and just a primary. When my agency asked me to go there she vetoed it! It is well known in Supply circles here.

11. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Well at least the Ofsted report did not blame a failure to teach British values as the cause for their mayhem.
    One line puzzled me: 'Ensure that teachers closely match reading books to pupils’ phonics abilities'. In other words, providing you can work out how to say a word, you can read it, even if you do not understand what the word means ?
    Sounds like a conundrum which might mean anything or nothing.

12. BigFrankEM

Given that it's OFSTED.. guess which interpretation is more likely

Or:

It's a no brainer

13. bajan

14. bajan

@blazer, think you had a near miss.

blazer likes this.
  15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

This was the norm in the UK until relatively recently. Back when they didn't teach FBV.

16. Aquamarina1234

The headteacher's comment is breathtaking. I used to teach at a school like that but what made it bearable was the fact that the HT and SLT acknowledged the problem and supported us in trying to manage it. When the new order arrived, everything was for show. I was glad to leave.

SundaeTrifle and blazer like this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It wasn't a nice primary. Then they went all through and kept the same SMT who had no more idea than fly of how to control teenagers.

bajan likes this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Oh. I was misled by the previous "outstanding" Ofsted.

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The Birmingham school I think is the one that was an Outstanding Primary school and Birmingham Council (it's an LA school) decided to turn it into a All Through 3 - 16 school. That's when it all went wrong ...

20. BigFrankEM

If I have understood correctly then it all depends on your interpretation of "relatively recently."

Mine?

Before 1989, as I posted above

Long before.