1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour CPD run by students

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by minnieminx, Jul 5, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Hmmm that is what I'm wondering. I could run it as part of NQT induction (so would fit with actually being my job!) but then invite anyone interested.

Have sent you a pm.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL

The more time I spend on these forums, the more I realise that 'reality' is so very different depending on your circumstances.

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Latest news: Staff member in 'loved-their-own-INSET' shocker.

4. YesMrBronson

Pointless.

5. These motive behind these questions seems to be 'How can I make school fun?' rather than 'How can I help children learn?'.
    What was the point of this? Are you suggesting that NQT's don't know what low level disruption and back chat are?
    Wouldn't it be better to simply tell new teachers to deal with particular situations in a particular way?
    Wouldn't it be better to try and get the children to think about how everyone else feels when they disrupt lessons then have a tantrum when anyone confronts them about it?

6. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

Sounds like a good day with lots of positives. Your original gave the imrpession pupils would be leading the inservice - this has all panned out a bit differently, and it sounds like an interesting collaborative day. Well done on an imaginative way of bringing teachers and pupils together to talk about behaiour: I would imagine it will have an effect on how the participants see each other in classes.

7. RaymondSoltysek

Jeez. If your perception of children is so poisoned by the
    absolute minority who can be described in this way, and if you are so
    afraid of children throwing acid in your face or shi**ing on your
    desk - why on earth are you still in teaching?

What the OP did was to engage some children – who represent the
    majority - in a responsible, collaborative exercise: to use such
    language to deny the value of what he did is patently absurd.

8. We have had our differences Raymond, but I agree with you on this one. :)
    There is no doubt that a small minority of students are capable of criminally violent behaviour, but the vast majority dont fall into such an extreme category (much like society itself)
    In terms of behavioural problems in the classroom, these tend (at least in my experience) to be mainly low level disruption, too much talking, some temper tantrums when they dont get there own way etc. Mainly ok kids who are just playing up and a few spoilt monsters thrown in too. Doesnt make it any easier to teach them and they are all capable of messing up a well-planned lesson, but I don't fear for my safety in their presence.
    If the picture was as grim as Afterdark suggests, there really would be <u>no</u> teachers at all rather than simply a high turnover rate.
    I think though, to be fair, We don't know Afterdarks own experiences or background. If he/she has suffered from one of the examples mentioned than I can understand their negative viewpoint and therefore how the optimistic slant of the OP's experiences might grate. But Afterdark probably wasn't suggesting most kids are like the examples given, but just using these extreme examples to show how the OP's strategies wouldnt work with all kids.

9. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Children involved in role play sounds good. We have used this in our school for the benefit of the children who have to be retrained on how to behave but we use the same role plays (by our older prefects) to inform our new teachers as well.
    One thing struck me as unacceptable was asking who their favourite teacher was. Teaching is not a popularity contest and no-one should be encouraged to think that is the case. You shouldn't be asking the children to name teachers. Asking children how teachers tackled behaviour and which strategies they prefered is a good thing to ask. Expecially of the children who have to put up with poor behaviour not the ones causing it!!

10. My perception is not poisoned. The number may be a minority nationally but not in certain schools.
    I am not afraid of it. Unfortunately it can and does happen.
    And I used the word excrete not your word. Or are you upset that I point out that not everyone teaches in cosy school where all the children behave wonderfully?
    It is not absurd to point this out.

11. Not everywhere but in some schools.
    Thank you, my point is that the children did not run the CPD. I understand that they contributed by giving their input but there is a transferral of credit by the OP. Staff ran the CPD. I agree that you can listen to the input of children, it is another thing entirely to suggest that they <u>run</u> CPD.
    Again my point is...if you pick the kids [i.e. those who already behave well] how does this input from students impinge upon your workings with those that do not?
    The irony is, those students who behave in the worst way would be least likely picked to participate in such an exercise [for example would you be able to get them into the school on a non school day?]
    I now work in a school where I could ask students to come in on a Saturday and I would have to limit numbers. My sixth formers probably could teach many people a few things about how they come across.
    I do not forget my colleagues who still endure in less appealing schools. The problem with such ideas is that there are seldom qualifiers put upon the limits of what is done. These things are often seized upon as ways to deal with things in schools where such an endeavour is almost certainly doomed to failure.
    I consistently see the adjective small used in conjunction with the proportion of students who exhibit extreme behavour. Well folks it is not a consolation to the parents of the other child who had acid thrown in their face. It does not make the stain on the teacher's desk go away.
    I think I find the lack of qualifiers, when writing of such things, greatly disturbing. I am also disturbed by the way in which terrible things are so easily dismissed by the words "small minority".
    Thank you for putting my long winded post so succinctly. I doff my panama hat to you Campamania.

12. Hi, gusfisher, congratulations, sounds like this went very well and provides a useful base for further development next term. Hope some readers picked up some good ideas, and that you get requests for your resources.
    Pleas don't be shocked by the 'negative' contributors, there are just a handful of them, but they tend to target folks like you who have something positive and progressive to say. They just make enough noise it seems like there's a lot of them. I'm sure most readers will sympathise with your sentiments.
    As usual, my admiration goes to Raymond, for his tenacity in trying to combat absurdity with logic. I fear it's largely wasted effort, however, since any fair-minded reader will already be there, but his adversaries are too blinkered in their prejudices to countenance the intrusion of reason.
    I must, however, gently chide on one point. As any GCSE science student should know, excretion and defecation are quite different. (Quite which form of excretion causes afterdark such alarm is not clear. Does she object to the students exhaling carbon dioxide over her desk, I wonder? Or perhaps she is offended if they work so hard that a drop of sweat falls on her table? We should be told.)
    However, not having looked at this forum for a couple of weeks, this thread did seem a nice little cameo of both what is good about it - positive contributions such as yours, gus, and the continuing vigour of Raymond's enthusiasm, and also what is rather sad - on which I need not elaborate.)

13. YesMrBronson

Nominated for OBN.

14. RaymondSoltysek

I consider myself gently chided, James. Thanks for the clarification! [​IMG]

15. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

I think provided the pupils are chosen carefully and the INSET is run well there is no reason why students should not be involved in INSET. I have my doubts about pupils running an INSET.
    I wasn't at your INSET so I can't really judge it but it sounds less execrable than many behaviour INSETs.
    It also seems a bit silly to judge the merits of an idea by how the worst pupils or the worst schools might respond to it. The only questions that really matter are:
    <ol>[*]Was it successful? [*]Would it be successful in my school?</ol>

16. James
    Is this idea progressive? My understanding was that extreme manifestations of student voice and collaborative learning have been around since at least the 1960's. You'd think if it was that successful everyone would be doing it.
    Now I can see why this idea is right up your street (patronising teachers, developing a non consistent way of tackling behaviour and valuing entertainment over learning) but you really shouldn't use the term 'positive' when what you really mean is 'agrees with me'.

17. I beg to differ. It is quite amazing what a 'child' has to do before they go to a young offenders institution. Note the distinction, again. And many of these have been quietly closed down.
    Again the rare argument. instead of demanding that I give you example, when you know full well many cases are "cannot be named for legal reasons"; why don't you give us some statistics to support your assertion that such things are rare.
    Different meanings. For example it could have meant that the child urinated on the desk. That would leave a stain as I mentioned a little later on.
    Perhaps your eyes are closed Ray, perhaps you don't want to see as it doesn't fit your world view. That way you can make the 'rare' assertion, because you have had the good fortune to experience it as rare that this must be true for every teacher.
    You keep using the word fear, Ray, is that because you are afraid to admit that these things can and do happen?

18. Ray, just so it is clear...when I put "I now work" that was your clue that this has not always been the case. You have focus on only one thing that I have mentioned. There are numerous incidents if you look at the figures from unions. These represent only the reported ones.
    You are not making your argument more credible by simply choosing to misread what I have put and then jump to conclusions.

19. Post 11, excellent comments Mr L.

20. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I went to a regional inset with a session on Behaviour Management. The main part of it involved interviewing a panel of pupils who, as the course director and the children's deputy headteacher informed us, "used to be disruptive but have now mended their ways!".

It was an admirable concept - but as the kids sat in a long line, with their deputy head looming over them, it was abundantly clear that they were simply saying what they thought we (and their deputy head!) wanted to hear. I think only one Sixth Former had the self-confidence, and the ability, to say anything different - the rest were "yeah..um...I didn't like them first but I think the best teachers were like the strict ones...you know, like the older ones..."