1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour Contract for Residential Trip

Discussion in 'School trips' started by corblimeyguvnor, Jan 10, 2012.

1. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm putting together a behaviour contract for a rather unusual residential trip and wondered if anyone could offer me any advice on what to include, or better still what they would consider to be reasonable expectations!
    I am taking 20 students (and two other staff) to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August. We have been lucky enough to secure a venue and will be performing every day at 1.45pm. We are all going to be in a shared, 23 bed (5 bedroom) apartment very close to the venue. We (staff) are sharing the cooking.
    The difficulty is that this was a school pay and therefore we have a range of ages. We have four students who will still be 15 in August, but at the other end we have 6 who will actually have left the school and will be 18.
    I am wondering what sort of expectations i can have for them in terms of going out (without staff). We will be taking them to see two performances a day so that will fill up time, but in the evenings and also on the sunday (which is our day off) I feel like the older ones should be able to go out (in groups of no less than three) with a curfew. What sort of curfew would be reasonable? I'm thinking 10pm (so that they are all in bed by 11 - we will be starting our flyering/pulicity drive at 9.30 each morning).
    The school has a drinking policy which allows over 16s to "drink wine or beer but not spirits with a meal if they have written parental consent". My feeling is that I don't want anyone under 18 to drink OR smoke - is this too harsh?
    I want the students to have an amazing Edinburgh experience and be able to (to some extent) make choices about the performances they see. I was thinking of saying that 7pm-9pm is "free time" where they can (in groups) go to performances/gigs/stand-up shows etc and then meet at a given point to return to the apartment, with the older ones having the additional hour to stay out before their curfew.
    Any advice anyone could give would be GRATEFULLY received!