1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour at extra curricular clubs

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cleobud, Oct 16, 2018.

1. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

An external provider runs a lunchtime club. The charge for the club is done directly from parent to provider.
    If a parent has a concern about another child's behaviour affecting their child's enjoyment of the club (their child has told the parent about another child's behaviour during the club).
    Does your policy say they should speak directly to the external provider, or go through the school?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

As a parent who has had my child have some moderately rubbish extra curricular activities through external providers, I would say that you need to be pro-active in this.
    Do you want parents complaining to the organisation being fobbed off while you know nothing?

welshwales likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

The club is running in your sch by a provider you have allowed in and agreed during lunchtime. You need to keep an eye on things and follow through any concerns.

4. newbie89

newbie89 New commenter

I agree that the school has a responsibility to monitor any external clubs. I would talk to whoever is running the club. If there is a genuine problem then they need to be proactive and deal with the child who is causing the disruption and their parents. If they don't, or the issue is more widespread, then the school needs to take action.
    At the beginning of this term I had to contact an outside provider about the franchise operating in our school because the session I had seen was so awful (behaviour management and the quality of the activities). I told them that unless it improved they would not be able to continue running a club at school - they apologised and pulled out. I wrote to our parents to explain the situation and the feedback was very positive. Parents were pleased that external clubs were monitored and that action was taken if things weren't good enough.

Jesmond12 likes this.