1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour/Anger management

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by af2006, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hi

As the end of term approaches I am looking towards next term and ways I think I can improve the behaviour of some children in my class. I work in a special school and have some boys who have very challenging behaviour. I would like to start some type of circle time/self esteem with them. I have some material but wondered if anyone had any schemes they can recommend? They are key stage 1 children but do have learning needs too.

Thanks

2. Hi

As the end of term approaches I am looking towards next term and ways I think I can improve the behaviour of some children in my class. I work in a special school and have some boys who have very challenging behaviour. I would like to start some type of circle time/self esteem with them. I have some material but wondered if anyone had any schemes they can recommend? They are key stage 1 children but do have learning needs too.

Thanks

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi there
    What makes you think that the problem lies in their self-esteem? A lot of behaviour problems comes from pupils having too high a regard for their own needs and desires, as opposed to the needs of those around them- which is precisely the pivot upon which bad behaviour rests.
    Of course, it could be argued that they are looking for esteem from their peers, and they substitute attention, no matter how negative, from you and the class. In which case you need to make sure that they are praised whenever they do well at anything, and punished whenever they do not.
    But I think the self-esteem explanation is often a smoke screen to hide a much simpler explanation- children misbehave because they enjoy doing what they want, and in the absence of clear and loving boundaries, will do exactly that until they meet someone prepared to say 'No.'
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

4. If there was a 'Like' or 'Recommend' button, I wouldn't have to re-quote all the bits I like! TES, why can't you be more like 'Facebook'?

5. Theres a book which describes anger management workshops called Blagg and Pump which were developed by James Thompson isbn1-85302-702-2. though this was designed for teenagers. Perhaps they need some basic reparenting and play work.

6. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

Probably aimed at KS2 but the book "A volcano in my tummy" is quite good for anger managment. Authors Whitehouse and Pudney.

7. Tom_Bennett

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've often wondered whether we're making things worse for children by pandering to the Low Self Esteem thing. How does it differ from ME ME ME because I'm SO SPECIAL? When does the problem become an overly high Self Esteem thing?

9. Tom_Bennett

D'accord. Low self-esteem is a smoke-screen for a complicated web of human issues. It's a bag of unrelated concepts that bear no resemblence to each other. Also, nobody really defines it when they discuss it. It can mean so many things to many people.
    Ultimately it's a sham psychological approach to poor behaviour. And it isn't a medical problem; either.
    Read more from Tom here on his personal blog, or follow him on Twitter here.