1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour and Sanctions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JCA_1989, Aug 26, 2011.

1. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am an NQT getting very stressed and nervous for the 5th September. Managed to get a air amount of planning done, so at least that weight is off my shoulders, but I have just started thinking about a behaviour system. Some of the other teachers simply use a whiteboard and write the children's names on when they have misbehaved etc... when they repeat this they get a cross next to their name. Now I'm not really a fan of this although I know I have to follow the school's behaviour policy.
    The class has 26 boys in who are football mad (as well as a few girls) so I was thinking about making a Yellow card/ Red card system whereby each card would act as a warning/sanction.
    The school already has a system for reward so this would strictly be for misbehaving (quite a challenging class). I do not have a display board for this, so any ideas would be helpful. Does it sound an okay idea?
    Cheers
    JCA

2. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am an NQT getting very stressed and nervous for the 5th September. Managed to get a air amount of planning done, so at least that weight is off my shoulders, but I have just started thinking about a behaviour system. Some of the other teachers simply use a whiteboard and write the children's names on when they have misbehaved etc... when they repeat this they get a cross next to their name. Now I'm not really a fan of this although I know I have to follow the school's behaviour policy.
    The class has 26 boys in who are football mad (as well as a few girls) so I was thinking about making a Yellow card/ Red card system whereby each card would act as a warning/sanction.
    The school already has a system for reward so this would strictly be for misbehaving (quite a challenging class). I do not have a display board for this, so any ideas would be helpful. Does it sound an okay idea?
    Cheers
    JCA

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

The school should have a Behaviour Policy which should give details ofthe school's system of sanctions. Have you seen it yet?

4. Hi JCA,
    I like the idea, and it links to school policy which is good. Have you thought about rewards for super stars? The school may have a policy... I have used treasure boxes which have motivated classes to earn a treat (even 5 mins extra play for chn who are always super can motivate) My fisrt class was very disruptive and had lots of characters in it and I found that lots of motivating rewards golden time, cooking etc encouraged them to work hard and try their best. Sparkle box has mini pics of footballers I think which would be nice to use with their names on to move from a super player area to sanction cards which you could pin to a board. You could link to going for goals/rewards for chn. I don't know what year group you have but think many chn would respond well to a visual display there are lots of football type resources you could cut and paste classroom/school rules onto to help. I saw a fab display once where the board was backed green with white tape to make it look like a pitch with string and pipe cleaner goal area made 3D at top.
    Good luck!

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

You're still using **********?!

6. Sorry use ****** now! Although Teachers pet has a fab class football themed resource.

7. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Flosspops that sounds great, however I literally have no wall space once the rest of the displays are up, hence why I am struggling so much. I know it needs to be displayed somewhere where the children can see!
    Cheers
    JCA

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Have you got fairly high ceilings?Use 'washing lines' (string or other) across the classrooms with A4 reward sheets. Paperclip or peg, so can easily be removed to add your sticker?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Keep it small and blu-tac it to the corner of your whiteboard. Use the bottom right hand side as you will almost never actually write anything on that part.

But just because they are boys it doesn't mean they like football.

10. I tried the yellow and red card system with my class last year - which included some very disruptive, football-made boys. I realised very quickly that they <u>liked</u> getting the cards! Some of them quickly started using it as one-up-manship: "I got a yellow card before you!".
    I dropped it very quicky, and went to a more discreet system of very quiet verbal warnings and names recorded quietly and without the obvious audience participation of giving out cards.
    Just a thought!