1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour Advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ElizaMorrell, May 17, 2018.

1. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

Sorry, quite long.

I have a year 1 child who is pretty immature. He has only recently reached early years goals. He is impulsive and likes to play rough.

We spend a lot of time talking about thinking before he acts, appropriate behaviour and discussing the rules and why we have them.

I praise massively when he's doing the right thing and sanction accordingly when he's not. After the sanction, we chat about what went wrong and repair. Usually this works and we have a good relationship so he does try his best most of the time.

Having said that, we're nearing the end of a very long half term, he's tired and behaviour has been escalating all week.

Today, though, we had out some bikes, scooters and child cars. When I asked them to bring them to the shed to put them away, he started kicking the bikes, and then ended up picking up a car (I was pretty impressed with his strength!) and throwing it on top of one of the bikes.

I reprimanded him and sent him to the headteacher with a post-it explaining the situation. In my eyes, it's attempted destruction of property and needs a severe sanction.

The child came back a couple of minutes later with a smile on his face and all the head had said was 'don't do it again'.

He then started with some pretty major disruption during the end of day story.

I feel like he's learnt nothing and has lost any fear of punishment. Any advice on where to go with this?

2. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

I'd be looking at why he was kicking and throwing. He was probably having a jolly lovely time with the cars, scooters etc and didn't want to put them away. Had you given sufficient warnings that the time was coming to an end? 5 mins, 1 min etc? What did you do when he started kicking the bikes? Did you tell him off or refocus him such as by asking him to give you a particular bike? The absolute key to behaviour management is avoiding the situation in the first place.

You say that 'he's lost any fear of punishment'. So I should jolly well think. He shouldn't be being punished. Yes, there should be appropriate consequences for making the wrong choices but not 'punishment'.

What did you hope to gain from sending him to the head? I can think of many reasons why a busy head would not be able to deal with a Y1 boy sent with a post-it note. It's much more effective to take the child to the head and explain why you're so sad about x that y has done.

Moving forward, you need to think of an appropriate consequence for the boy, such as not being able to use the cars etc next time they are out (or for 5 minutes, as you deem appropriate). Tomorrow you need to have a chat with him, discuss what he's done and what the consequence is - or better yet, get him to tell you what an appropriate consequence should be - and follow it through.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  3. ElizaMorrell

First of all, it's probably not the best idea to leave my class on their own while I walk the child to the head.

Secondly, our behaviour management policy requires that we refer any physical harm, destruction of property or offensive language/gestures to the head, so it wasn't necessarily a case of what I hoped to gain, it was a case of following protocol.

Fair enough, punishment probably wasn't the right word, but I was expecting the head to impose a consequence. If the person running the school doesn't appear to care about the things in it, why should the child?

The children had been given time warnings and I had previously redirected his attention when he brought his bike over as he was beginning to chase after others with it.

I understand that an appropriate sanction is the way to go, like I said in the original post, we usually chat and repair. It was more a question of how do I repair the lack of respect that he's come back with, and which very quickly spreads amongst the littlies.

4. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

If that is your real name, please ask TES support to change your username asap. Though why this advice isn't plastered all over the bit where you sign up by now I cannot imagine(TES!).

5. ElizaMorrell

It's not my real name.
    Thanks though :)