1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behaviour Advice

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bigpig, Feb 21, 2012.

1. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Was that with Jason Bangbala, Jubilee? I went on a course and he gave us similar ideas. He had some other really good ideas for behaviour management.
    He suggested to make a 'nice phonecall home', doesn't have to be a phonecall, could be a word with their parents when they get picked up, or a note to say how they've been well behaved or kind. It means more to the child than a negative message to parents.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

yes, it was him!
    I liked that idea I passed on for younger classes but was dissatisfied with some of his answers. He did that fast-talking commentary showing that he was totally aware of what was going on in the room ... "jubilee is tapping her pen, rachel is rooting in her bag for something, michael is looking out of the window" and I wanted to say that being aware of what the pupils are doing doesn't make them more likely to behave!

3. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Yeah some of his ideas didn't really work in my opininon. I liked the phonecall but really are we going to go and ask the school if we can give their parents a call to say how well they've behaved? Probs not, I did however buy some 'good note home' cards from primary teaching and use these when I remember. I say 'I've got x number of these to give out at the end of the day'. It even worked in year 6!

4. When positive reinforcement doesn't work I go back to the old name on the board which will be left for teacher to see. I'm regularly in a school every afternoon in different classes. Ks1 have traffic lights in class so I follow this and children move their own name if misbehaving. Ks1 do really respond and like a chance to redeem themselves. Y6 is the name on the board with chance to have it wiped. I explain the rule, they get a verbal warning first then no chances. Some get a tally by their name if it doesn't work. Other ideas when lining up I choose 2 spotters to give house points out for sensible walking in lines, one at the back and one middle. They can't give to anyone whose face they see as lines are forward facing! I have a load of stickers too. Ks1 have sticker charts but year 3/4 still quite like a sticker for their jumper!!