1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Beginning in the Independent Sector

Discussion in 'Independent' started by noemie, Apr 6, 2011.

1. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I'd say it's actually lucky you're being interviewed at all! My first job took about 25 applications without ever hearing back from the schools, and two unsuccessful interviews before I stroke lucky. It's still quite early days but you may wish to reconsider the "getting the QTS" bit and investigate whether it's possible to get it on the job, e.g. via the GTP (which some independent schools do participate in). You don't say whether you've got any experience of working in schools, or with young people - these days getting a teaching gig is a little harder, Oxford or not, so you need to prove to the schools that you're in it for the long haul and that they should choose you over someone who has given away a year of their life to gain QTS.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I guess that these are schools who are going for this:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6035664
    But just having subject knowledge is not enough; you do have to show them that you can teach too.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thanks Theo, that's a very interesting article.
    I do tutor part-time alongside my degree, and though of course I understand that one-to-one tutoring is very different from a classroom situation, I've received very good feed-back from the schools at which I have had interviews. Also, as well as teaching, my past means that I can offer help with a CCF, as well as lots of sports (rowing, sailing, cricket, shooting etc) plus singing and acting. With any luck there will be someone who wants me!
    Dan

4. Ireton

Ireton New commenter

Hi Dan,
    You sure have a great deal to offer a school, but I do agree with other commenst that it would be worth trying to gain your QTS which many schools (though not all) see as being essential. I would investigate the GTP through a school if possible as another year at college may prove rather tiresome. As a mature candidate with outside experience which is highly beneficial to the classroom, you would be highly rated so don't give up hope!
    Keep your eyes open for posts in the TES and really sell yourself outlining your willingness to commit to the school in return for help with training.
    Good luck,