1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Before school INSET

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lcb501, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Help! My new head teacher has told us to attend departmental INSET on Friday morning before lessons, from 8-9 am. Can she do this? We've already got a meeting after school one day in the week and I don't really want to be losing any more time. Any advice?

2. Help! My new head teacher has told us to attend departmental INSET on Friday morning before lessons, from 8-9 am. Can she do this? We've already got a meeting after school one day in the week and I don't really want to be losing any more time. Any advice?

3. jazz2

jazz2 New commenter

If it's within the 1265, then I believe she can.

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Ask for Directed Time Budget for this Academic year to be distributed to all staff.

5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

If it is part of Directed Time, than there is little you can do, though agree that it sucks! However, if your HOD is amenable to the idea, make it a breakfast INSET - bring in croissants, proper coffee etc and do it that way.. you may find you look forward to Friday's!

6. Is this one off or regular?
    How on earth could parents with young children manage?

7. looks like my posts been removed another way to silence me

8. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

If you want to complain about TES moderators removing your thread you might at least have the courtesy to start a new thread about it and not hijack someone else's .

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think that sudden changes to hours of work can be challenged: I have a feeling there's something in general employment law that says that an established pattern of work can't be changed without consultation, and certainly schools have to consult before changing th school day. Childcare could be a very real problem for some people - I remember a colleague struggling to find a provider open early enough for her to get to school for 8.30.
    Do check out the directed time allocation, and ask your union about the hours of work issue.