1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

before i forget,my interview at goldsmiths

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by hummi7883, May 21, 2011.

1. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

hi
    i thought of sharing my experience as it might help some1 in the same situation.
    i applied for physics secondary at goldsmiths
    yesterday was fun.
    We had to give a presentation on topic-'two challenges that science teachrs are facing today'
    We were 8 in all...and just one interviewer.
    I prepared really well for the interview and the rest of them who were quite older than me ,and they were reading out on the slides,so some points befre going there:
    *very complicated buildings and floors so arrive in plenty of time so that u can relax.( some girls came in 15 mins late panting and huffing!!,the interviewer did not look very impressed)
    * presentation is for 5 minutes so prepare really well,the interviewer marks something down in his paper,which i think is to do with ur confidence ,ur eyecontact,way of delivering etc....so research about the best gestures and confident presentation tips.
    * the interviewer was very cool i think i and really put us all at ease.
    strictly do not read out from the slides,dont bring researches and keep saying this is not my thoughts,these are purely researches!!(heheh)
    *A simple subject knowledge test written,it had these questions:(just an idea plz dont asume that its going to be the same..):
    if a child came to u and asked when i turn on the switch y does the light goes on...(something like this)how would u explain this ....
    What is a chemical reaction?(how wouldu explain this to the kids)
    if a plant had 5 kg mass after 15 years it has 25 kg mass....what is this and how would u explain this to the kids?
    these were the only 3 questions asked.
    My PI went really good....he told me that he really thought that i gave the best presentation,well structured(with a intro,content,conclusion kind of things..). |(he better take me now!!)i used a very nice quote in my presentation,n he asked me to repeatit again in my Personal interviewer(nice trick to catch some1's attention...).if u use it make sure u check that it is relevant to the topic.....
    interview questions:
    How would u handle a disruptive student or students...(he was looking for the steps that u ould follow)
    what is ur fav topic?
    how would u make this lesson interesting..?
    We discussed my qualifications for a very long time...
    asked me y i chose to teach,how i came here.....quite normal semi personal q's.... dont know if this would even help anyone...as everybody has a different experience.....but kjust for an idea,......
    I'll update in this thread if i get in....(pheww....another waiting game!!)
    I really enjoyed the evening....
    i wore a suit(nobody did....infact some girls came really casual but i dont think it is a very good idea...)
    Talk to everyone there,and try to e really fun..(he keeps an eye on u thourgh out...
    m tired now...... any questions plzz ask....oh yes if there is anyone starting science pgce at goldsmiths plz get in touch.....(m not even sure i'll be there...hehe
    )

2. Hey, I had my interview in March, the post above brings back memories! Look forward to seeing you in September - fingers crossed!

3. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

really??????
    wow...finally somebody starting september!!..did u make it?...u shud be knowing by now..silly question....anyways...m still waiting to hear back...was ur interview the same style?was it the man with a pony tail...?i really liked him...he was so calm and polite... anyways....m praying that i see you in spetember!!lolz