1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bees!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by valencia, Jul 18, 2015.

1. valencia

valencia Occasional commenter

Put my hand in my dressing gown pocket and ouch, ouch ouch! a bee and a field day on my right hand, I honestly thought bees only sting once then die, not this one...

2. tidal

tidal New commenter

It's a popular misconception.

AFAIK it only applies to worker honey bees and most of the other native bees can sting more than once especially solitaries

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

In praise of bees; I was watching fat little bumble bees having a whale of a time on bell heather yesterday.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I bought a packet of seeds in the spring with four varieties of flowers supposed to encourage bees. My garden is absolutely full of them, well done Wilko!

5. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo]

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm in the lovely position of being about to design a small garden behind a terraced house. I look froward to hearing the soft hum of bees again.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

My lavender on the allotment if ful of bees and butterflies...they are happy .i also have 4 varieties of bumble bees and at least 4 varieties of butterflies

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd like to encourage some miner bees too.

As for encouraging city bee hives, I'm not so sure... is it the best thing for them as pollinators?

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

City bees are fine if there are gardens around, people have them on flat roofs. In the centre of London I'm not so sure, it depends what is about - window boxes and hanging baskets would do.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I counted 5 species of bees around the large lavender plant in our front garden the other day, there is a cloud of them almost permanently around it when the sun is on it, quite mesmerising watching them come and go.