1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been told it's only a job.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by minnieminx, Mar 31, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd say something like 'thank you for all your advice the other day. I have looked at Mrs.......books and yet she doesn't seem to have anything different to me. Are there any other teachers you know have what you are asking for whose books I could look at? I really want to get this right.'

Then you are showing that you are taking your role seriously. You are listening to your mentor/HT. And that your colleague isn't doing what she should. Sorted!

2. You do need to be positive to your mentor for pointing things out. Gently ask if you missed something at the start of the year as you haven't seen the policy or maybe you missed it.
    Seek a meeting with the head and say that you want to make sure that you are doing exactly what she wishes so if she could point you to the various policies that you have missed that would be good.
    James

3. newbee79

newbee79 New commenter

The work I have done to day I have set it out in my book as I think she would want me to. I'm going to show her tomorrow and ask her if it is ok. I was given a class in September as an NQT and left to my own devices. I was planning from the Primary Framework until I was told in December that this was incorrect and I should be using the plans that the school has (from 2007). How was I supposed to know that? This then got changed and it was ok for me to carry on planning as I have been. The whole thing is a muddle.
    The head now thinks that I just deliver worksheets to my 5 year olds when in reality this is not the case. Some of my lessons I do as this is what I have been told to do (to follow the same format as next door).
    We're expecting Ofsted soon and so I'm wondering if this has something to do with the conversation.