1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been told I have to teach full time!! Can they do this??

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by missbloggs, Mar 1, 2011.

1. missbloggs

missbloggs New commenter

Our budget cuts are so immense that the LA top brass have been to see me and announced that I have to sack my KS2 teacher and teach full time myself - as well as doing my Headship work. We are a small school with only 60 pupils, from 3 - 18. This is along with cutting my 2 TAs hours to next to none, and so there would be an NNEB (mornings only) with a TA in the nursery, a full time KS1 teacher, and then me teaching the whole of KS2 (ignoring the fact that we don't have a room big enough to seat them all) full time, with a couple of hours TA support at the most daily. Most afternoons there will only be 2 members of staff in school with the 52 full time pupils. We won't be able to do any SEN support, go on trips, take children out to sports events etc etc. And subject leadership, which is on our Ofsted action plan would be nigh on impossible.
    Can they do this? I have come tothe conclusion that the aim of the LA is to bring the school down so that they can fetch in Ofsted, get me throw out as an inadequate leader and then they can federate with another school or shut us down completely, with the convenient reason that the school was failing. Help!! What should I be saying and doing?? Can I stop any of this happening? Are there any other HTs out there that teach full time?? Advice needed!

2. missbloggs

missbloggs New commenter

Our budget cuts are so immense that the LA top brass have been to see me and announced that I have to sack my KS2 teacher and teach full time myself - as well as doing my Headship work. We are a small school with only 60 pupils, from 3 - 18. This is along with cutting my 2 TAs hours to next to none, and so there would be an NNEB (mornings only) with a TA in the nursery, a full time KS1 teacher, and then me teaching the whole of KS2 (ignoring the fact that we don't have a room big enough to seat them all) full time, with a couple of hours TA support at the most daily. Most afternoons there will only be 2 members of staff in school with the 52 full time pupils. We won't be able to do any SEN support, go on trips, take children out to sports events etc etc. And subject leadership, which is on our Ofsted action plan would be nigh on impossible.
    Can they do this? I have come tothe conclusion that the aim of the LA is to bring the school down so that they can fetch in Ofsted, get me throw out as an inadequate leader and then they can federate with another school or shut us down completely, with the convenient reason that the school was failing. Help!! What should I be saying and doing?? Can I stop any of this happening? Are there any other HTs out there that teach full time?? Advice needed!

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Is this a short term measure ( 1term) or permanent? You're entitled to ppa and management time. I would be speaking to my union. Good luck!

4. missbloggs

missbloggs New commenter

No, it's permanent. The KS2 teacher has to go and I have to do her job and mine. At least til Ofsted come and chuck me out...[​IMG]

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You can't teach full time. The most I've ever known a head teach is .8 you're entitled to ppa and you must have management time. That's going to mean at least 1 day or 2 half days non contact. Speak to your union rep. The governors have a duty of care to you and they also have to comply with the workforce agreement ( for now).

6. Monitorial system and gin. Obvious. [​IMG]Whatever's the matter with you?

7. OP - that's a dreadful situation. One can't help but wonder what sacrifices these 'top brass' are making. In my area lots of secondary schools are going for Academy status because they're fed up of the top-slicing by the LA and the way money is spent/wasted.

8. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

I didn't know that the LEA can tell you to do that. How you run your school is up to you and your governors including all staff deployment. The only constraint you have is the budget given to you ...

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's the point. LA officers cannot tell any head how to run their school or what to do with the budget. The governors and head make staffing policy, not the LA.

10. missbloggs

missbloggs New commenter

But when they change their funding formula so that you are going to get way way less funding than you used to do and so you are suddenly going to be plunged into deficit, then they come along with their finance office side kicks and present you with a range of scenarios to demonstrate that of course you can still run the school with a lot less money than you have had in the past. We were in a good position with our budget based on the 3 year plan etc, but with only a few weeks to go before the new financial year a cut of the size we are facing completely out of the blue is going to have huge implications. They are 'helping' us by 'looking at the situation with fresh eyes'. Ha ha.

11. Personally, I would say" thanks very much for the advice. I will consider it with my governors after we get our budget settlement and make our own decisions".

12. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I would get your union behind you pronto as well as chair of gov's. Every headteacher is entitled to management time.

13. weesteve

weesteve New commenter

Which LA are you in?
    This will be the same in scores of small schools in Devon in 2012/13 when the minimum funding guarantee is removed (Devon is applying to have it removed a year earlier than it needs to as well!).
    We're being told to federate, that if we have less than 120 then we're not viable otherwise. Our local secondary has just hoovered up three of the small schools in our learning community as it becomes an academy.
    Our director of education has told us that "there will be blood on the walls before it's all over..."!
    Interesting times

14. Just how many schools could have more funding, greater efficiencyand better results by closing down the LEA and giving the money directly to the schools?
    Seems bleeedin' obvious to me.[​IMG]

15. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Also you legally have to have a teacher for your nursery class. If combined with reception and KS1 then you still have to have 1 teacher and at least 1 level 3 TAs or NN to maintain a 1:13 ratio. That is the law and non negotiable with ofsted.

16. weesteve

weesteve New commenter

That's all well and good, but what do you do when there just isn't the money in the budget you're given?

17. jellandy

jellandy New commenter

The LA cant dictate what your school / setting does - that's a Governor decision. Clearly budget issues will dictate to a large degree but it's down to the leadership (inc Govs) to decide where cutbacks need to be made. Your union rep would be a good source of advice - are you part of the national small schools forum?? They may also be able to offer advice. Although I am Head of 2 schools, one only has 38 pupils (and we are by no means the smallest in our authority) .... as long as we balance the budget there's no problem!! Best of luck!!

18. missbloggs

missbloggs New commenter

Our new budget is 12% less than last year because our LA has changed its funding formula and so schools like mine with few FSM and no EAL (but incidentally very deprived children) have been 'robbed' to enable them to boost schools with lots of FSM and EAL. In the new budget the minimum funding guarentee is £0. With only 2 TAs and only 1 QTS for 32 KS1/EYFS pupils in September, where am I supposed to cut??? All of KS2 are taught together, but now I am supposed to move Y2 in with KS2 to get round the class size issue. And we are fighting to move from a Satisfactory judgement to Good. How???? I feel the LA ought to be removed, and all the money divvied up between the schools. Why so many chiefs? And so many multi million pound building projects that are pointless, still going ahead. Makes me feel like quitting.