1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

been to visit my new school and .....

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by purpleapple, Apr 14, 2011.

1. purpleapple

purpleapple New commenter

Basically I have been to visit my new school (starting in august) and a few things have started bells ringing. My soon-to-be department is being mostly replaced, there is a big lack of facilities for my department and the head seems to have an unrealistic expectation of work. On the whole, the school looks very good, but if I had had proper interview instead of a telephone interview I would not have taken the post.

I just get the feeling that I could be making a mistake, but have handed in my notice and been replaced. Has anyone else been in the same position? Did you get out while you still could, or carry on and then either been proved horribly right or gloriously wrong? Its a gamble.

ps are our transatlanic cousins always so upbeat with a ferious work ethic? I do admit it has scared me somewhat, especially with the idea that I might willing forgo my summer holiday.

2. purpleapple

purpleapple New commenter

Basically I have been to visit my new school (starting in august) and a few things have started bells ringing. My soon-to-be department is being mostly replaced, there is a big lack of facilities for my department and the head seems to have an unrealistic expectation of work. On the whole, the school looks very good, but if I had had proper interview instead of a telephone interview I would not have taken the post.

I just get the feeling that I could be making a mistake, but have handed in my notice and been replaced. Has anyone else been in the same position? Did you get out while you still could, or carry on and then either been proved horribly right or gloriously wrong? Its a gamble.

ps are our transatlanic cousins always so upbeat with a ferious work ethic? I do admit it has scared me somewhat, especially with the idea that I might willing forgo my summer holiday.

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Are you single and unencumbered? Go and have a look-see for a couple of years or however long the contract is. Then post a "it's not that bad really" response here when someone starts a thread in two years time asking same questions about same school.

4. The place sounds awfully familiar... Would you be able to subtly imply the name of the school? Or even PM me as if it is the one I am thinking of, I think I could be able to give you some info.

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

A riveting read. I do hope the OP updates us on the adventure
    p.s. the Hippo is spot on; get scanning and collecting!

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Thank you, happygreenfrog. It's nice to be appreciated.

7. A telephone interview makes no difference. These are questions you should ask during that interview. Facilities is one of them.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Facilities and teaching resources are not quite the same things, Ayahuasca. Yes, principals are happy to talk about the new library, the swimming pool or the posh ICT suite, but they are often pretty clueless and non-committal when it comes to mentioning which spelling scheme is used in Year 2 and whether or not the KS2 trundle wheel has lost its click.

9. Mmmm this place does sound a little familiar, but maybe there are just a lot of schools like this. I suspect that even the worst places are bearable for a year, (I know bad places are!) you will meet some new people, enjoy a new culture and don't let yourself be bogged down by the politics and internal affairs of a school you don't intend to stay at. Enjoy it and plan your next move!

10. what country is it in? I'm really curious!

11. Luke - that's double standards. You have crucified a a school on another thread and yet haven't offered the slightest clue where the place is.
    Spill, Lookey, spill...

12. The standard of teaching is good and most kids do reasonably well, children that are not strong academically however are encouraged to leave (unless their parents are VIP's!), but then again the same could be said for most schools in the area (perhaps not the VIP bit). It's difficult to put your finger on why I wouldn't recommend it, I seem to remember the students as being pretty miserable most of the time! allways complaining about something or other which would feedback as parents would get involved and make complaints endlessly. Pupils rarely have the same teacher for more than two years, very few relationships would form between parents and staff or staff and students. It's difficult to quantify the consequences of running a school in this way, It just comes accross as a generally negative atmosphere for everyone involved.