1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been shortlisted, no interview date?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Robin94, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Robin94

Robin94 New commenter

Dear Tes,

I have been informed by a school that I am shortlisted for a role. I received the email on Wednesday and they informed me that they’ll give me an interview date for next week. I haven’t received anything since.

Is this normal for schools to give interviews within the same week? Should I call them
    Monday?

I’m slightly worried as I don’t know how much time I have to prepare for my interview.

Thanks

2. Jennifaerie

Jennifaerie New commenter

The delay is probably due to the covid situation and focusing on reopening first.
    They will usually give you at least a few days to prepare for your interview. You're unlikely to have to teach a lesson at the minute so maybe read up on interview questions etc. And find out everything you can about the school in the meantime.

Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 and steely1 like this.
  3. ybadat

ybadat New commenter

I was given less than 24 hours notice from shortlisting to interview and I got the job. It was actually really good because I didn't have time to get too nervous. My advice would be start interview preparation now, there are certain common questions that come up at most interviews. I did have to teach a lesson via Microsoft Teams to the panel who were pretending to be students, which turned out to be a lot of fun!
    As stated above, find out as much about the school as you can especially behaviour and curriculum policies. Good luck!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for that! They have been impressed by your application, now's your chance to impress at interview.

You don't actually need to know the date of the interview... Will it make any difference to your preparation if it's Tuesday or Thursday? You WANT to know, but that's not the same as needing to know!

Actually, you should assume that it will be Monday, and have all your preparation done by then. Yes, as @Jennifaerie says, they normally give you a few days to prepare, but not always. I have known an email in the morning for an interview that afternoon - in Ye Olden Days when you actually had to travel to the school!

So if you haven't already, start serious preparation now. Look again at your Executive Summary and draw mind maps for each of their major points. If you haven't done an E.S., you can find a free Template put up by me on TES Resources to fill in first. Get yourself all clued up about the software that will be used - is it Meet, Zoom, Teams? Make sure you know how to set up your screen, and where, to give best image. More tips HERE

You have a whole day and a half to get yourself organised and set up for really showcasing your strengths - strengths that match what they are looking for.

Go for it!

5. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

I once got notice of an interview for the next day at 4pm. I turned it down. The surge of anxiety was awful. I am tempted from now on to turn down all short notice interviews for teaching. It's the lesson planning at short notice I just can't handle and I like to properly prepare and not feel flustered. Schools can be odd with their interviews.

Og course most recent job interview was on zoom. Loads of notice and still drafted my presentation 4 times on 4 separate days.

6. Robin94

Robin94 New commenter

Dear everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies, they have been very insightful.

I will take your advice on board and start preparing for my interview ASAP. It's a TA role, however, I'm hoping that I can use this experience towards applying for a salaried PGCE role next year. I'm very nervous about the upcoming interview because my goal is to become a teacher therefore I don't want to miss any opportunities. I haven't seen many TA vacancies posted in my area and I know that the market is heavily saturated. On top of this, I haven't had an interview in this sector... All of these factors make it nerve-racking!

@TheoGriff, the school hasn't notified me how the interview is being conducted. I assume it will be provided in the interview confirmation email.

@sharon7482, I understand what you mean! A day notice would probably make me feel anxious too.

TheoGriff likes this.
  7. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I hope you don't have to wait as long as me! I was shortlisted just after lockdown, and they still haven't fixed a date for interview as they want it to be F2F!!!
    Good luck with yours!

8. inkymark

inkymark New commenter

Interviews can be really quick - I applied for my first role at 11:24 on the closing day itself (all applications had to be in by 12pm) and by 16:00 had received notification that I was to be interviewed. However, application closing date fell on a Friday and my interview was on the following Monday, which meant I only had the weekend to prepare. As this was my first ever interview, you can imagine how hectic my weekend was... It was all worthwhile since I was offered, and accepted, the role but this was my first introduction to job seeking in the teaching world and is soooooo different from the non-teaching world!!! I mean, who gets offered a job on the day and is expected to tell their prospective employer almost immediately whether you are going to accept or not!!!!!

TheoGriff likes this.
  9. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

Teaching is a bizarre profession in many ways. And long overdue a rehaul. That is just one of the oddities. I hope it does change as a result of this as it along with the NHS arrested on life support. And the work life balance was so no existant that I hope this pandemic brings about societal change.

10. mollymegan19

mollymegan19 New commenter

I had a similar experience in January. Deadline was 12pm on the Monday (I had got my application in the previous week) and found out at 3pm that I had an interview that Friday. Preparing an interview lesson and for an interview was very difficult alongside teaching, after school meetings etc etc. I didn’t perform anywhere near as well as I’d of liked and didn’t get the job (glad now as it wasn’t the right school for me and have since got a perfect role in another school). I am not sure why schools insist on giving you such little warning...

11. Robin94

Robin94 New commenter

Hi guys,

Just a quick update.

The school still hasn't provided me with an interview date and it is now Wednesday. I received the shortlisting email last Wednesday in which they informed they would give me an interview for this week.

I'm finding this very bizarre. Maybe I should just forget about this interview?...

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As long as you are ready to go whenever, just put it on the back burner for now and concentrate on other applications.

Best wishes

steely1 likes this.